How do i make Cura custom profiles available to other network users?

Barry Bickerton

Posted · How do i make Cura custom profiles available to other network users?

1:   Is it possible to make Cura custom profiles available to other users on a network by default  (without export import).

2: When I make a custom profile on a networked computer it has gone when I next log in  why?

This is a feature we're working on. Currently it's a bit tricky to share profiles between cura instances, which we hope to solve.

As for the disapearing profiles, I can't really say why. Could you share your log files?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am also looking for a solution to this. I will probably just make custom profiles and import them by hand to the other computers. But a solution via dropbox or easier even per network share would be awesome. Especially since Ultimaker is geared towards businesses and this is probably a useacase that comes up often, I guess. At least in our company it is a problem at the moment. Also a long time in the making: ?

25 minutes ago, Technofrikus said:

I am also looking for a solution to this. I will probably just make custom profiles and import them by hand to the other computers. But a solution via dropbox or easier even per network share would be awesome. Especially since Ultimaker is geared towards businesses and this is probably a useacase that comes up often, I guess. At least in our company it is a problem at the moment. Also a long time in the making: ?

You could the new Backups plugin in Cura 3.4. It's not focused on sharing, but it works (login with the same account on multiple machines). As @nallath indicates, we are working on actual sharing behaviors as well.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
    On 6/14/2018 at 12:15 AM, ctbeke said:

You could the new Backups plugin in Cura 3.4. It's not focused on sharing, but it works (login with the same account on multiple machines). As @nallath indicates, we are working on actual sharing behaviors as well.

Has this been released? If so, which version? I'm excited to use it!

I have 4.5.0 and cannot find a way to share my custom printer with my team, nor are there plugins for broad search terms. If it has been released, please share it here! ...because this is still on the first page of Google search.

17 minutes ago, wireddown said:

Has this been released? If so, which version? I'm excited to use it!

I have 4.5.0 and cannot find a way to share my custom printer with my team, nor are there plugins for broad search terms. If it has been released, please share it here! ...because this is still on the first page of Google search.

Yeah. It's bundled with Cura. YOu can vind it under the extensions menu tab

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nallath said:

Yeah. It's bundled with Cura. You can find it under the extensions menu tab

Thanks for answering this old thread 😄

I found the back-up extension as you said!

image.thumb.png.7d631e67142f3bc00cf1bf1400ba1372.png

Do you have information about the red highlight below?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:15 AM, ctbeke said:

As @nallath indicates, we are working on actual sharing behaviors as well.

48 minutes ago, wireddown said:

Thanks for answering this old thread 😄

I found the back-up extension as you said!

image.thumb.png.7d631e67142f3bc00cf1bf1400ba1372.png

Do you have information about the red highlight below?

You can share cloud-connected Ultimaker printers in teams via https://mycloud.ultimaker.com. Settings can only be shared via the backups tool at this moment, but we have plans to make this easier. Don't know any timelines on that yet though.

• Like 1

Is there an update on sharing custom profiles with other people? I want to share some profiles with people in my organisation but cannot seem to find a way to do so.

2 hours ago, Zoe said:

Is there an update on sharing custom profiles with other people? I want to share some profiles with people in my organisation but cannot seem to find a way to do so.

We haven't added any new features for this. You can export & import custom profiles though.

Preferences->Configure cura-> profiles -> select profile -> export

The same menu that has the export also has an import button. You can do the same for custom materials.

Alternatively, you can also save a project, which should also work (so if someone else opens the project, the profile gets added)

Re-animating this thread. Is there any indication on when a feature to push custom profiles to multiple users would be added?

Ill give my use case in case Im looking in the wrong spot. 

We have a lab at work with a bank of 3 ultimaker printers and a local PC for control. (2 S5 and an S3). These are available to be used by 100s of employees, most of whom are very new to 3D printing. Due to security requirements everyone has to use their own Microsoft account to login to the local PC so we cant share one Cura account. I would like to be able to provide tuned print settings for the various materials we offer without having to export and ask each user to then import to their own Cura account. 

I could be missing something, maybe there is a better way to manage this scenario?

19 hours ago, crichards58 said:

maybe there is a better way to manage this scenario?

While not built in to Cura, you could write an automation script (eg a .bat, or .ps1) that pulls files from a central repository into the `user_changes and materials folders inside each user's configuration folders, before starting Cura.

Come to think of it, that could be an interesting plugin to write.

• Like 1

BUMP. Would really appreciate a method for controlling Cura configurations across multiple users' systems. For our CAD software (Creo) I run a batch file to push a master copy of the configuration files to the users' system on startup. This will update everyone's systems with little effort. Like many things in Creo this is a very powerful yet old school user unfriendly solution.

It seems to me with Ultimaker's Digital Factory, there could be an opportunity to leverage that web UI for admins to manage Cura configurations for members of their organization. Their profiles are there and linked as well as the printers in the organization. Would make aligning configurations between printers and all users slick. Of coarse this feels like something that would be used to upsell their paid subscriptions...