Help!

harley573

I've had my UM2 which has been upgraded to UM2+ for a few years now.  I really have had very little trouble out of this printer.  The only thing that has ever given me much grief is the PTFE coupler which I replaced some time back with the newer teflon part.  I am using PLA at the moment.  Printed a nice print this morning with no issues.  Tried a print this evening and all of a sudden, I can't get the material to come through the nozzle.  I've tried 3 different, brand new .04mm nozzles.  I've done atomic pulls.  I've completely removed and re-installed the filament.  I've tried heating the nozzle up to 235 and trying to print with it at that temp to get the material moving.  The little purge it does at the beginning of each print has completely stopped purging.  There is absolutely nothing blocking or clogging the nozzle.  I decided to just let the print go ahead and see what happens.  I'm attaching pics.  Obviously, it's a huge failure.  Right from the start, the first layer looks weird.  Like it's seriously under-extruding, but I can't figure out why.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

20180326_005834.jpg

20180326_004140.jpg

20180326_005827.jpg

Take the bowden tube out and heat up the nozzles, cut a piece of filament and stick it in slowly and try to extruder by hand. If that does work it's probably the extruder which is grinding or teeth of it are clogged.

Okay, I did that again and switched filament to a completely different roll.  I got it to feed filament out as normal, and got it to finish a print, but the quality is still not great.  All I can figure is that it is the little white coupler.  I have a pair of them on order and will have them in a few days.  Maybe that'll fix it.

Posted (edited) · Help!

Take out the coupler to see, it seems strange that after you put some filament in by hand that it has improved the quality, seems like a clog to me. You can easily remove the coupler from the head in a few minutes see if the coupler is bad or leaked between the nozzles and coupler.

Edited by phantom

So, I received my new coupler and got it installed.  Did a test print and everything went great.  Fired it up to do a second print and I see filament is oozing out of the neck of the nozzle.  What is causing this?  I have never seen it do that before....

20180331_024935.thumb.jpg.13a7f38e73b66a5a62fe69b3aadaaa14.jpg

@harley573 obviously you still use the old fan shroud. You don't used the extrusion upgrade kit for your conversion, right? And you use a nozzle type that is not intended for the Olsson block. Is this a nozzle from an Ultimaker Original?

In short: are you 100% sure that the reason is not just the wrong nozzle?

I'm not 100% sure of anything.  It's true, the nozzle is a cheapie I bought on Amazon, but I've been using them for a while and haven't had any problems until now.

What is the extrusion upgrade kit for the conversion?

If you upgraded the UM2 to UM2+ you must have ordered the kit via ultimaker which has all the parts, otherwise you didn't upgrade it fully to an UM2+ but just upgraded parts yourself but didn't include all parts the UM2+ uses seeing you're still using the old fan shroud.

If the nozzles is leaking you didn't put it back together correctly if you did not have issues before with this nozzle. Remove the head completely and start over after cleaning. Make sure you heat the block to about 170-180 degrees Celsius when putting on the nozzles and print this to from Mr Olsson to help you get the right torque setting for the next time you have to switch nozzles:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/nozzle-torque-wrench

Posted (edited) · Help!
    5 hours ago, harley573 said:

What is the extrusion upgrade kit for the conversion?

Extrusion upgrade kit

promotion video

How to install the Extrusion upgrade kit

In the last picture it looks like the big nozzle is touching the fan shroud, if there's no gap between the neck of the nozzle and the fan shroud, the threaded part of the nozzle is probably not longer sealed against the teflon coupler.

Edited by tinkergnome

Okay, so I stand corrected.  I was thinking I did essentially the same thing as the 2+ upgrade.  Ultimately, I just ordered the Olssen block upgrade, (the official one), and upgraded to the teflon coupler.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (which I often am), but I don't see anything else in the extrusion kit worth paying the $400 price tag.  They offer you new rods in case you bend yours.  Mine aren't bent now, so I don't need that.  An upgraded extruder and motor?  There's nothing wrong with my current extruder or motor.  The fan shroud is shaped slightly differently.  Looks like the air blows out at about the same place as the old one, so nothing ground breaking there that I can see.  Not to mention, my latest issue is while printing with ABS and I don't use the fans while printing ABS anyway.    Am I missing something?

Upgrades esentially are not because something is not working right, but because it improves your printer and enhances the prints in the first place. It can come in handy when you do have problems and it solves it.

A Geared feeder is much more precise,also this one is easier to adjust pressure on your filament which makes it easier if you have underextrusion issues or when changing to different types of filament by changing the grip. The fan shroud is an upgrade due to better airflow which is not for ABS but again it's not for issues you have, it's improving what you have and other filaments will benefit.

I myself upgraded to a bondtech extruder as my motor didn't do a well enough job at 1500 print hours.

I can also print much faster now and i wish I would have bought it much earlier and safe me some workarounds i did to improve my prints. I bought it together with a new Bowden tube as that had just as many hours and together cost me $270, add an Olsson block and some nozzles, and your already very close to the same price without the additional parts.