Polycaprolactone (PCL)

migwke

Posted · Polycaprolactone (PCL)

Hello,

I am interested in using a 3D printer with Polycaprolactone (PCL). Does anyone know if this printer can successfully print with PCL? If so, does it require any modificaitons?

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can try and share the experience :)

You just have to find the right filament diamater which is ~3mm and do the experiment. The only issue which is coming to my mind and you have to be aware of, is the low melting point (arond 60 celsius according to the wikipedia). The ultimaker cannot print with lower temperature than 175 celsius. The extruder just won't work. It's due to the safety issue... you could damage the printer if you try to extrude something which is not melted properly... but you can trick this... If you use Cura, just put command:

M302

into the start line of the gcode. This will disable the min temp check.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I also want to print with Polycaprolactone. Can you tell me if it worked out for you with the low melting point of PCL?

And if yes, it would be great if you could give me the contact of your filament supplier.

Thanks a lot!!

Ok, got it.... saw that stuff in an article at instructables some time ago to built handles but had no clue that this is PCL... :-)

PCL is great. I have worked a lot with it before I had 3D printers. It´s perfect for makeing moulds or forming parts with your hands. Even threads work great, if you use a screw to form them. A friend of mine even made working keys of it. They did not last very long, but as an emergency second key...

When I started with 3D printing, I even thought, that this is the material they work with. I haven´t used it in a 3D printer yet, but still have some kgs of it...

I think it might work as a support material. You only have to put it into hot water to get it formable. But I think it will stick to the plastic. It might be easier to remove, than solid material and recycleable, but not yet perfect. I can test later, if it sticks to PLA. PVA which is dissolving completely would be better. I thought of useing sugar as support material. It is possible to print with sugar, some people have already done it, but you need a completely different extruder, sth. like a frostruder. If somebody has the time to test it out... Would be a very cheap support material.

And from which supplier can I order a normal filament for the 3D printer?

Which temperature setting would you use with a melting temperature of 60 °C?

60C? Really? My car gets hotter than that in the summer.

Well you have to experiment. I would first google the material and see what others print it at. And if I can't find anything I would try 80C to start. Do "move filament" when the head hits 60C and try a few different temps. See how fast you can extrude at a few different temps.

I meant that its melting temperature is as low as 60 °C, I would definitely set the nozzle temperature higher. I though someone could share the experiments and the settings used to print.

It s no problem to print with PCL, we do it with an ultimaker with good results. If you want to order PCL filament you can check out 3d4makers.com

Hello,

What is the secret of 3d printing PCL in a good way?

I use the M302 code, but I cannot find the right temperature and speed combination.

Can someone help me?