Cura 3.2.1 not loading layers properly when using both extruders

SloverStudios

Posted · Cura 3.2.1 not loading layers properly when using both extruders

Hello,

O am tinkering around with a new UM3 Extended and I am trying to experiment with printing using two colors and I managed to slice a calibration Cat into two different parts to print with two colors (feet, tip of the tail, chest and ears are separate fro the body. The problem that I am having is the slicer software cutting off the top of the print when trying to use both extruders to print with. I've been trying to search online for solutions to fix this issue but no avail.

I've attached a screenshot where i is cutting it off. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 1.09.16 PM.png

I think Cura is confused about how the parts are grouped/merged together. Did you assign different extruders to different parts of the model? You can check that if you tick off one extruder in the Layer Preview and see if it disappears.

And how did you group the objects together? Using merge or group?

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.2.1 not loading layers properly when using both extruders
    20 minutes ago, Nicolinux said:

I think Cura is confused about how the parts are grouped/merged together. Did you assign different extruders to different parts of the model? You can check that if you tick off one extruder in the Layer Preview and see if it disappears.

And how did you group the objects together? Using merge or group?

Yep. Extruder 1 for the main body and extruder 2 for the smaller parts (Ears, tail, feet and chest parts).
    I used merge to merge the two sets of objects together. It's weird because when I turn on the second extruder with both objects ungrouped, it cuts off at the ears:

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 1.29.52 PM.png

I did edit the ears in the model not too long ago to see if it was the size of the object, but same thing happens.

Edited by SloverStudios

Did you use sketchup?  sketchup can ruin a model.  Try a few things - try looking at the part in xray mode and if you see any red in the ears then your model is not manifold.  If you see no red and you used sketchup then click on all the faces around the ears and make sure they are all white.  If any are gray or light blue then right click and select "reverse faces".  More info about sketchup used for modeling here

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

Regardless of the software used, is it all capped and solid? @gr5 is right about sketchup, but if not properly done in any software to make it manifold, or watertight, it will cause problems. Also, the points of the ears may be too small for regular settings. Did you try:

1. Scaling up the merged model to see if it fixes it?
    2. Run it through a checking service to see if it is not properly manifold?
    3. Used the "Print thin walls' setting?