Uneven print on Ultimaker +2

Posted · Uneven print on Ultimaker +2

Hi, I'm a novice printer, and I have an issue regarding uneven prints. It seems like the printer is make a thicker layer in one side of the printer, and a thinner in the other side. I have calibrated the print-bed correctly. Do i need to adjust the nozzle? If so, how is done?

Thank you in advance

IMG_4494.JPG

OK, quite tricky to diagnose because your camera (‘phone?) has focussed on the print head, not the part, so all the foreground is out of focus. At first I thought the front right was showing under extrusion but that does not make sense to me. I see that the left hand side seems pretty OK but the right-hand side looks faulty so I wonder if it is something to so with cooling (i.e. lack of). The brim seems to be OK on both sides but out of focus so difficult to be sure.

It would be helpful if you could do it again but rotate the part 180 degrees so that the circular part is on the right.

Also can you please give us your main settings – on the right, under Material and Profile, select Custom which will display all the settings. The following would help…

Printing temp.(s)

Print speed(s)

Layer height

Bed temp

Wall thickness and wall line count

Nozzle width

The settings under Cooling

Can you then please also take some photos from directly above, after layer 1 or two and then later on.

Also I would not overlook bed levelling but let us leave that just for now. You may have levelled the bed correctly as far as the process is concerned but as a novice that does not mean the end result is right ;). I am quite capable of getting it wrong! But I know how to get it right.

I don't see what you mean in the picture.

I can see your bottom layer is so thin it's almost transparent.  I mostly like that - it means your part will stick very well to the glass and not come loose during your print.

Bed leveling controls how thick the bottom layer comes out.  but by the time you get to the second or third layer, it shouldn't matter.

Did some filament squirt out on the right side maybe when it was doing the bottom layer or two?  I can't tell as it's too blurry plus it would be easier to tell when still printing the first or second layer.  Here's my guess but it's really hard to tell from the photo.  My guess is you were printing too close to the glass and the pressure kept building up until eventually it all squirts out at once - not sure why it happens on the right side.  Mostly chance.

I'm thinking maybe you are a little too close to the bed.  When it's printing the bottom layer I recommend you tighten the 3 bed leveling screws in equal amounts to lower the bed a bit away from the nozzle. Turn each knob an equal amount.  do a half rotation at a time until that brim starts to get a bit thicker.  You can also just push down on the bed and if it starts spurting out like crazy then you are printing a little too close to the glass.

The below video start at 1:12 (1 minute 12 seconds) where I show what good brim or skirt should look like. Then look at 3:20 to see me adjusting the screws while it's printing the skirt.  The first time you adjust while printing is hard not to panic and get confused.  Just relax and think which way you want to move the bed, then think if you need to tighten (move it down) or loosen.  Then turn the 3 screws equally.  If you screw it up you can just start the print over.

Bed leveling should only affect the bottom layer or sometimes the next layer up.  But maybe you are getting this squirt-outs on every layer.  If so then I think your Z axis might not be moving as far as it should.  You could print a cube 10mm tall and then measure it afterward.  If it is 5mm tall then I know what the problem is.  Easy to fix.