No skin under indents

ElClipo

Posted · No skin under indents

I noticed that when I put an indent on the top (or bottom) of my model the software does not put skin on it. For example, as seen below, I put text on top of a model and indent it a full millimeter. When I slice it with Cura 3.2.1, there is no skin, and the infill can be seen through the text. When I slice it with Slic3r, I have four full layers of skin under the text, as it should be.

Cura3.2.1.png

Slic3r.png

• Like 1

Set the Skin Removal Width setting to 0.5 or less and the skin will be OK when using 4 top skins.

There is something weird going on though because if you set top skins to 3, then the skins are OK without using a small value of Skin Removal Width. But setting the skins to 4 makes it bad unless the above setting is changed.

• Like 2

Outstanding!

Still no luck. With 4 top layers, 2mm skin expansion and .5 skin removal I still get no skin under the text. 

Could you please post a 3mf file so that I can see what settings you are using.

Posted (edited) · No skin under indents

I just went with defaults on 0.2mm and got this:

Starts to lay down the CT5

BottomofLayers.thumb.jpg.8b710b223e3403f8103aec6b2f2197df.jpg

Gets to a spot 5 layers later that starts the other top surface

5ad85b3be9f08_BottomofLayers5Layers-evensurface.thumb.jpg.2a94c6242f4c29d41945524a34615679.jpg

And then prints around the debossed letters until finished.

TopLayers.thumb.jpg.289c7bea5f9366ed0fe21cf1f6558de5.jpg

Am I missing something here?

Below is the project file I created. 5 brownie points to whomever gets the pun.

UM3E_ct-alpha-5.curaproject.3mf

Edit: I just noticed that you are slicing for a hictop and not any UM printer. This means that there is a variance on what the slicer puts out. I think @smartavionics will be much better at sussing this out. Especially since he is a coder and may find wht the part in the hictop profile is missing to create that issue.

Edited by kmanstudios

I probably should have mentioned that from the get go. I use a Hictop (prusa clone). And the software is on a MacBook Pro.

i hope this is the file you need. 

H_CT5.3mf

You need to reduce to skin removal width to 0.1 or less.

Actually, further investigation shows that the real problem here is the large value of Minimum Infill Area. Reduce that and the skin shrink/expand settings are OK as they were. I was the original creator of the Min Infill Area setting and it is now pretty much redundant because you can shrink/expand the skins which you could not back then. Also, looking at the Cura code which has been reworked by someone else since I worked on it, it doesn't appear that the Min Infill Area setting does what I would expect any more. I recommend setting it to 0 now.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Sounds good. I’ll try that tonight.