Modfying leapfrog HS

Posted · Modfying leapfrog HS

Hello,

i have an old Leapfrog HS creator, which i would like to "recycle" and make it working again.

Some basic needs:

-Adapt it to use 3mm filament instead of 1.75mm

-Switch motherboard and display, possible to um2 board.

-Maybe integrate um3 printhead,, ideal would be even 2, and make a head switching situation like the um3. Other possibility would be adapting the beatifull magnetic dual head system like on my adapted um2.

Anybody tips? Is there um2 firmware that i can adapt myself to make it suitable to the bigger buildplatform?

Many thanks,

Rudy

Hi @RudydG, welcome to the community! 

Sounds like an ambitious project, good luck with it. 

Regarding the firmware, have you checked out our github account already? There is a firmware repository as well. 

As for the print head, I imagine the magnetic toolchanger might be easier to do? And it is very well received in our community too. Both hardware might be easier sourced and it also has custom firmware and a lot of support in our community. 

45 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi @RudydG, welcome to the community! 

Sounds like an ambitious project, good luck with it. 

Regarding the firmware, have you checked out our github account already? There is a firmware repository as well. 

As for the print head, I imagine the magnetic toolchanger might be easier to do? And it is very well received in our community too. Both hardware might be easier sourced and it also has custom firmware and a lot of support in our community. 

Sander, thanks for the reply.

I am already a UM2+ mark2 user for about a year now, enyoing it very much. That is why i would like this system (motherboard + firmware) as a start to rebuild the Creator. In the past i build lots of repraps with ramps and rumba's, but once i got used to the symplicity of the UM2 boards + firmware and display, i am hooked to it.

Basicly, the only difference between the Leapfrog and the UM would be the X-Y-Z dimensions, (i wil have to reposition some endswitches), the heater + printbed settings (Pid), and some calibration of the extruders, unless i chose to use the UM2 types. (maybe i buy 2 um2+ upgrade kits)

But, i will have to get acces to the firmware source code om the UM2 mk2.

Greetings,

Rudy

4 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Thanks!!!!

Did some research, and because the Z axe is a nema23 stepper, i will have to use an external beefier driver, so i am limited to the choice of motherboard, it will be a rumba. But the firmware will ben compatible ofcourse.

Starting a long project, but in the end, it will be a 300x300,300mm dual head printer ;-)

1 hour ago, RudydG said:

Thanks!!!!

Did some research, and because the Z axe is a nema23 stepper, i will have to use an external beefier driver, so i am limited to the choice of motherboard, it will be a rumba. But the firmware will ben compatible ofcourse.

Starting a long project, but in the end, it will be a 300x300,300mm dual head printer ;-)

You should seriously think on using a duet3D. Can use high amp nemas, allows mirror, duplication, has a forum for users, extensive documentation and uses a updated firmware (um2 firmware only has updates thanks to the personal work of tinkergnome).

Also, way cheaper than a 300€ um2 board

Posted (edited) · Modfying leapfrog HS
    8 hours ago, neotko said:

You should seriously think on using a duet3D. Can use high amp nemas, allows mirror, duplication, has a forum for users, extensive documentation and uses a updated firmware (um2 firmware only has updates thanks to the personal work of tinkergnome).

Also, way cheaper than a 300€ um2 board

But can i use the UM2 firmware on this board? I would like to keep the software side simple, and would like to have the ultimaker features (like loading and unloading material) ?

Just checked, wow, some serious forum, and it seems to be the motherboard of 'today" ;-)

Will check into it!!

Edited by RudydG

1 hour ago, RudydG said:

But can i use the UM2 firmware on this board? I would like to keep the software side simple, and would like to have the ultimaker features (like loading and unloading material) ?

Just checked, wow, some serious forum, and it seems to be the motherboard of 'today" ;-)

Will check into it!!

Indeed isnt plug & play and would need more work. But learning gcode isnt much complex but indeed if you are use to um2 menus... Anyhow to adjust the firmware to ‘change filament’ you will need to edit Marlin firmware and rebuild it to adjust the bowden length, but on duet3d you can write a Macro (gcode file) to do the same. 

One thing for sure. Learning how to rebuild and edit Marlin tinkergnome to adjust the heat sensors, fans, hotend temperatures etc, will be Much more complex than learning how to edit gcode text files (duet3d uses all the important configuration with gcode text files instead of the Marlin needs to rebuild the firmware for critical stuff)

Yes, i am reading myself in, and indeed, the duet3 seems to be a good candidate, and easy to work with.

Just figuring out if the cost is justified for this printer.

Got a good source to buy these boards?

Duet3d WIFI + expansion print + paneldue in use ?

This is the best board i ever found, so easy and powerfull!!

Many thanx for the tip!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1