Problem with printing quality after change to 3dsolet sapphire ruby nozzle.

Posted · Problem with printing quality after change to 3dsolet sapphire ruby nozzle.

Hello ?

I have problems with the corners on my print and furthermore there is problems with the print quality.

In this picture, you can see how the corners are not sharp. 

20180511_065146.thumb.jpg.a5789a42bb3476871377faf99dce53b5.jpg

I hope some other people have some experience with ruby sapphire from 3dsolex. 

Posted · Problem with printing quality after change to 3dsolet sapphire ruby nozzle.

Hi

Mine works fine, but I did find a higher temperature was required.  Try adjusting your normal print temperature up or down 5 or 10 degrees.

Peter

I don't think this has much to do with the nozzle.

This is a common problem with all 3d printers and can be fixed.  

The basic issue is that it slows down too much on the corners versus the rest of the print and so you get overextrusion on the corners.

On the UM3 for example a quick fix is to disable acceleration control.  That way it spends MUCH less time on the corners.  Other fixes include increase jerk, increase acceleration, decrease print speed.  Also for a part this small infill may be partly to blame - cura typically does infill at a higher speed than outer walls so consider making all the speeds the same.  But this is likely not the issue.

Another possibility is that your cad part has too many line segments on the corners.  Cura slows down a lot if there are many line segments in a small space (say < 1mm).  This is obvious if you watch it print - it basically stops on the corners.

So...  what kind of printer is this?  Does your printer use a bowden tube?  Does it use Marlin firmware?

Oh.  And did you change profiles or settings when you changed nozzles?  Some of the profiles that come with cura have issues.

19 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I don't think this has much to do with the nozzle.

This is a common problem with all 3d printers and can be fixed.  

The basic issue is that it slows down too much on the corners versus the rest of the print and so you get overextrusion on the corners.

On the UM3 for example a quick fix is to disable acceleration control.  That way it spends MUCH less time on the corners.  Other fixes include increase jerk, increase acceleration, decrease print speed.  Also for a part this small infill may be partly to blame - cura typically does infill at a higher speed than outer walls so consider making all the speeds the same.  But this is likely not the issue.

Another possibility is that your cad part has too many line segments on the corners.  Cura slows down a lot if there are many line segments in a small space (say < 1mm).  This is obvious if you watch it print - it basically stops on the corners.

So...  what kind of printer is this?  Does your printer use a bowden tube?  Does it use Marlin firmware?

Thank you for your feedback. Good to know that it is not the nozzle  ? I just bought sapphire kit for my UM3

Which size nozzle did you get?  0.6mm?

If you turn off acceleration control on the UM3 AA 0.4 profile, those corners will get better but instead you will get something called ringing.  The ringing will affect the physical size MUCH less than those corners but it will be easy to see the ringing pattern all over your part.  Unless you paint it.  Because UM filaments are shiny the tiniest change in angle shows up easily visually.  so a 0.1 degree change in slope on your part is visible.  And the ringing will cause this.

But if you check for ringing with calipers you won't find anything.

So if you hate ringing leave accel control on.  If you don't mind it and hate those bulging corners, then turn it off.