Feature missing for support structure: wall thickness

klaus_kraemer

Posted · Feature missing for support structure: wall thickness

I think the support structure misses an important feature: Being able to define the wall thickness for support structures.

This could be solved by simply taking the settings, defined in the "Shell" partition for the particular extruder - or adding this feature to the support structure's settings. I am quite annoyed about support structures unnecessarily breaking off, like you can see it in the image. It had been taken after 4 out of 6 hours printing and the support tower broke off about 30 layers before it had been needed to serve its purpose. ?

20180518_142327.jpg

did you make changes to the recommended profile?

because it looks like you changed the horizontal expansion  for the support. The support is meant to start outside your model for better adhesion while building up.

And could this model be printed 90 degrees rotated, on its flat side, looking at the front of this picture? Don't know what the complete stl looks like, looks like a nut...

Posted (edited) · Feature missing for support structure: wall thickness
    37 minutes ago, peggyb said:

did you make changes to the recommended profile?

because it looks like you changed the horizontal expansion  for the support. The support is meant to start outside your model for better adhesion while building up.

And could this model be printed 90 degrees rotated, on its flat side, looking at the front of this picture? Don't know what the complete stl looks like, looks like a nut...

Thats both been on purpose, in the meantime you have seen the first post, where I sought advice to thicken the walls of the support structure. Seems there's no way to achieve a good result - line thicknes should help a little, but it seems not the real cure.

It has been about two similar surfaces of the nut, which is only thought to tease a colleague. And secondly the support structure had been as well connected to the PLA as I expected it would within a thread. My issue is only about the fragility of support structures due to too thin walls.

For smaller support structures even adding horizontal expansion is not really helpful - if you don't have the space, any support structure remains quite fragile without being able to change wall thickness. So horizontal expansion cannot be a serious solution - even leading to crazy extensions of the support structures outside of shells and never ever connected to the real support structure.

And as no one can help with it, I vote to add a (probably quite simple as it exists already for shells) feature to the support structure.

Edited by klaus_kraemer

This is a duplicate topic.  I'm locking it which means no replies allowed. Please post over in the other topic instead:

Okay so I guess it's not quite a duplicate but seems like a waste as some of the same solutions are being posted here as over on the other thread.  Anyway I think maybe this feature *does* exist in cura:

support wall count

I think that's the feature.  Make sure you have the core2 selected of course!  In the top right corner.

On 5/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, gr5 said:

support wall count

I have switched CURA back to English language, but could not find "support wall count". Can you give me a hint?

There is a search box above all the settings - type any of those 3 words in that box.  I recommend the word "support" as that will show many of the other support features you may be interested in.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

There is a search box above all the settings - type any of those 3 words in that box.  I recommend the word "support" as that will show many of the other support features you may be interested in.

That's what I did before asking for a hint...

No "Support Wall Count" available:

SWC1.thumb.png.e5f538c2fc4a679b7768237507d66f6a.png

SWC2.thumb.png.35d3255692ed7170907e89390b611f1a.png

Any other place to search?

Posted (edited) · Feature missing for support structure: wall thickness

I just saw that CURA 3.4 will introduce "Support wall line count. Added setting to configure how many walls to print around supports."

Found in CURA 3.4 beta changes...

THANK YOU!! ?

Edited by klaus_kraemer