export slices as image

ejonesss

Posted · export slices as image

i saw a post at "https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/10485-export-sliced-layers-as-pdf/ where the slices are saved as images but above method requires snapping shots of the screen witch includes the grid and everything else on screen

i am looking to do 3d models in paper by stacking.

and was wondering if there are any programs that will save the outline of the slices as an image file so i can print them on paper and cut out with exacto knife.

paper is cheap a ream of 500 sheets is $10 to $15 at local office store

ink is cheap too i have refillable cartridges and ink is available in bulk for ciss and refillable cartridges.

the best priced 3d printers are a couple hundred even as kit and using a 3d printing house like shapeways complains about exceeding the bounding box and is too slow as if i change something i have to wait for it to re render the changes and calculate the prices.

i am ok with spending time assembling inkjet printed slices and gluing them together.

i am looking to make lifesize busts 

thanks

thanks it works however it is very limited in resolution.

most slicers make 1000 to 2000 slices but slicer for fusion limits to 100 maybe as high as 150.

i found a way around that limitation by saving bigger slices say 1 inch thick then then making 1 millimeter slices of each big slice.

that is like segmenting a 100 meg zip file into 10 segments of 10 meg  then segmenting each segment into 10 segments of 1 meg.

the only downside i can see immediately is that some of the parts are small in the assembly viewer that it will not highlight the small pieces. and the part numbers are being obscured by the outlines on the small pieces and the sequence is being scattered such that i have to look at all of the files to find the next one.

a more crude way i found that may work is to use slic3r witch is part of the repetier package i can using applescript automate advancing 1 slice and snapping a screen  shot and repeat but i have honeycomb grid and other infill structures around obscuring some of the small details near the edges like the nostrils holes on the nose and ears and eyes gaps.

Can't you just set infill to 0% in slicer?  That should get rid of the honeycomb.  Maybe also set skin or shells or wall (or whatever the parameter is called) such that it only does one pass on the outer shell.  Also disable any "support" structures.