Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
swarming

Heating up the bed causes Ultimaker 2 to restart

My UM2 is about 4 years old but I use it only moderately. Since yesterday it restarts each time I try to heat up the bed, half a second before that the lights flicker or get dimmed for a moment.

I found some threats about this, but is there really not way to test if its the bed itself, the power supply, the pvc? Does anybody have an idea how to track this or already found a solution? I tried to re solder the beds connections and leave a little gap between plastic connector and bead but no success so far..

I suspect that all devices of the Ultimaker 2 family were supplied with a power supply of the same power:

100-240V 4A, 50-60Hz, output 24V DC, 9.2A 221W max.

Also the plug to the MainBoard should be the same for all devices.

The only exception is the small UM2 GO, because it works without a heating bed.

I only have the Ultimaker 2. The information I took from the official specifications of the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+.

Exceeding the power brick a tiny bit can cause the power brick to drop out and start again, making the machine restart. It’s a safety mechanism that better power supplies have. As long as there’s no shorts or faults in the machine, then the brick might be the problem.

2 and 2+ seem to use the same power brick.

Edited by JRDM