Wish for Cura, go automatically to Layer View

ManuelW

Posted (edited) · Wish for Cura, go automatically to Layer View

Hey there,

i have a wish for Cura, because i didn't four it yet.

I want Cura to go automatically to Layer View after slicing.

I hope thats possible.

Thanks and regards

Manuel

Edited by ManuelW
  • Thanks 2

Posted · Wish for Cura, go automatically to Layer View

Exactly this. OR, when in Layer View, if the object isn't sliced, can we have "solid"? It's just an extra step to go back and forth.

'Solid' in Layer View for a non-sliced object makes no sense...

And it will only confuse the layman. Having a shadow in Layer View reminds me that I need to slice and check the object, now that I've set up all the settings as I want them, and I like that reminder. Because, when I slice, I see the potential problems. If there was a solid in Layer View, I may forget to slice the print and send it to the printer and miss potential problems, especially if I'm in a bit of a hurry.

How could you send a badly sliced file that hasn't been sliced?

Even if the screen is showing you StarWars#17 you still can't send sliced code that doesn't exist. ?

Whereas I end up in Solid view all the time, slice my code, get horrible slicing like a solid inch just missing out of the middle of my part, don't see it, and print garbage.

Please explain how having a solid object and a "Prepare" button would lead to bad code showing up in your printer - it easily happens the other way as I explained.

You're right, my mistake. I tend to hit the 'Prepare' button before even going to Layer View, thus I forgot that you cannot send a file before hitting the 'Prepare' button and slicing.

I'd say fully 10% of my slicing has obvious and fatal errors - entirely missing layers, spurious artifacts.

Not looking at EACH sliced object before hitting print would mean fully 1/3 of my prints would go straight in the trash bin.

Many models are well behaved. Perhaps a round of automated sanity checks after slicing (are there unsupported things being printed?, printing taking place outside of the printbed) that could suggest/trigger a manual review could fix this, but it seems like a larger undertaking.

Please keep in mind that layer view can be pretty slow on older computers. I'm not sure an automatic switch after slicing (assuming non-automatic slicing) is good in all cases.

48 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Please keep in mind that layer view can be pretty slow on older computers. I'm not sure an automatic switch after slicing (assuming non-automatic slicing) is good in all cases.

A checkbox in options could fix that, as well as addressing the issues of those who "don't need it".

20 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Same as slice automatically, enable/disable checkbox in settings would help with this.

I would rather have to see the layer view than wait for an object to print that's just missing an inch of material here and an inch of material there.

image.thumb.png.d04b73a12384a3a71f5070a643dac6a7.png

It takes 45 minutes to see this error on the printbed, and 15 seconds to wait for the layer view to show up. A checkbox fixes it.

I would second the checkbox idea if it's doable.

The behavior I really want is solid view when unsliced, layer view when sliced. It's hard to accurately position stuff when in layer view because the object goes transparent as soon as you make a change.

You could differentiate between the two, so you know you're looking at an unsliced layer view.