Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
filopat

Timelapse recording problem

Hi,

I'm currently printing pieces for my friend's artproject. My friend would like to have timelapse videos of the printing process, so I hooked up my USB-web camera, and started printrun.

Cura did find my camera and all the control tabs worked, and preview images did show up.

I enabled timelapse video recording and started printjob. After the print stopped and ultimaker homed all axis printrun freezed. No video file was saved.

Is timelapse video recording broken or am I missing something?

I'm running Cura 13.06.4 in Windows 7.

Jukka

Are you running cura and printrun/pronterface at the same time?

If so, there are problems with that.

If not and you usually use UC, you might want to get a USB hub to increase the voltage power of the USB signals. Some people have found this to help.

Are you running cura and printrun/pronterface at the same time?

If so, there are problems with that.

If not and you usually use UC, you might want to get a USB hub to increase the voltage power of the USB signals. Some people have found this to help.

No, with printrun I mean Cura's own printing window that opens when you hit the print-button.

There is no problem with powering camera, it works fine. The only problem I have is that Cura is not saving any timelapse movie file.

I am not getting timelapse either, here's what I am finding:

good things:

1. camera enable works, preview works and stays active during the entire print.

2. python is using the camera

3. I am getting snapshots written to this folder T:Cura_13.11.2Curagui\__tmp_snap

4. even with the strange path that shows in the camera window with the funky forward slash, I DO get a file written to that folder, but only after I close the finished print window from cura...BUT

Bad things.

1. the file made is 0KB and also has a truncated name....

(details)

Cura wanted to name the file:

T:webcam/timelaps_2013-12-03_05:09.mpg

but the file that was created when I closed the print window was

T:webcam imelaps_2013-12-03_05

like I said this file has zero KB and not extention.

help, anyone? is there a log file some where that might shed light on my trouble? and I missing a step?

I can use avidemux to make a moive from the images, but that seems like a pain.

other details - winXP, 32bit

ok so that file name truncation bothered me, so I made sure to make a file name that was 8.3 so I put this in

T:webcam/timelaps.mpg

and this time when I closed the print window I got a movie! yeah.

also in case your temped to use avidemux to make your image sequence into a movie, don't try the latest version. you need 2.5.x to assemble jpg sequences, i gather that was left out of 2.6.x