Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Caylamayla

Overlap in Layers

Hello all, I am new to Cura and am not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but when I slice my objects it seems as though there is multiple layers in one pass of the head. I am doing a 2 color print with a duel head. The print is of a cylinder than has other cylinders inside of it of a different color. The outer color of the cylinder is clear so it looks like the cylinders inside are floating. I took the time and made the part in Solidworks including the holes. I then made each individual little cylinder and manually placed them in the holes and merged them in cura. I thought this would work because of the existing holes in the model, but when I preview it is looks like the outer Cylinder does not have the holes and they are being passed over twice (Picture below). 

layer problem cura.PNG

cura.PNG

Edited by Caylamayla
Uploaded another picture

This is what cura is supposed to do.  Print what you tell it to print.  Cura does not do volume XOR or volume subtraction.

Instead try to do this operation in solidworks - it might be called "boolean subtract".  I've never used solidworks but it can definitely do this.

I have already used the volume subtraction feature in solidworks and there are supposed to be holes in the part. (pictured below) They are not showing up in cura. I will reload the part and just try to print it without the solids. Is there any other way to create different colors in parts that are completely encased or am I doing it the easiest way? 

The holes are in the main frame and then I made small cylinders that fit perfectly in the voids.

Thank you for your fast reply!

sectioned.PNG

sectioned2.PNG

Edited by Caylamayla

I will also add pictures about my above post here. It is just weird because when I go into xray view it shows the holes in the part but when I go into layer view they are no longer there. The one on the left is without the solid cylinder inserts and the one on the left has the inserts that are separate parts.

xray.PNG

layers.PNG

disable "union overlapping volumes" and that should fix the issue.

Except are you sure you only have one STL loaded?  It looks like two different stl files are printing at the same time.

5 minutes ago, gr5 said:

disable "union overlapping volumes" and that should fix the issue.

Except are you sure you only have one STL loaded?  It looks like two different stl files are printing at the same time.

Thank you! I think that was my problem! Printing now and I will let you know what happens!

It is very hard to print transparant with FDM 3D-printing. Due to the air gaps inbetween the extruded sausages, it usually looks like frosted glass. So, out of curiosity, how did your internal cylinders come out? Were they visible after printing? Maybe you could post a photo?

If I want to make internal details visible using transparent PET, they should sit no more than 0.5mm below the surface. And even that only works on the flat surface facing the glass plate. Not on the top layer. This is good for a logo or a mm-scale ruler. (Since I have only single nozzle printers, I can only make hollows, not two-color prints.)

topside_keys.thumb.jpg.81284fbf63eeba1aea0ee0804af744d7.jpg

Text caps height is 3.5mm, sitting 0.5mm below the surface, character depth 1.0mm.

top_side2_cut.thumb.jpg.e86c8dae490a8719789e5aa15ec5a6c7.jpg