NylonX

Posted (edited) · NylonX

I thought I would share some of my testing with MatterHackers NylonX.  Its an interesting material, very rigid, nice texture, and supposedly stronger than most other materials.  It has a 100mpa ultimate tensile strength according to the data sheet, which makes it similar to Nylforce Carbon Fiber. (http://gr5.org/mat/)

this is my test piece: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1819242

Settings:

0.50mm SS Nozzle (3D Solex Hardcore)

0.45 line width

0.2mm layers

2 walls (Copied an old profile and forgot to change this to 4+)

20% fill

260* C print temp

60* build plate (glass will elmers glue)

40mm/s print speed

image.thumb.png.30925385df3d9f8771029b90e2b1fdcf.png

image.thumb.png.9dc6b3128e50d68e407ef19cb735a6e7.png

The parts were printed quite a bit oversized, so I couldnt fit the latch into the main body.  I was able to snap the body in two with my bare hands, but this was only printed with 2 walls, so, I cant really expect much from it.

image.thumb.png.393dd3ca4cd669756483446270493452.png

The surface quality was somewhere between interesting and not so great, so I am unsure if it always prints this way or the material is slightly wet.  I will toss in the dryer overnight before the next test.  Overall, it printed easy, had hardly any warping, incredibly stiff (like PLA) but definitely stronger than PLA.

Let me know if you have questions, I will post my results when I print round #2.

edit: I measured the cross section of the break ( outside HxW - inside HxW) and multiplied this number by the rated tensile strength (14,500 psi/100mpa) and came up with a theoretical ultimate strength of 1300 pounds.  I doubt I even applied more than 50 lb of force to it before breaking.  Obviously, there are many factors that could contribute to this, but I suspect my print settings are not correct (or material is still too wet) which cause a very week print.  

Edited by Jakeddesign
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do I see it correctly that it broke exactly in a corner? Perhaps it could be interesting to take some of @SteveCox3D 's design for additive manufacturing tips into account and instead of the 45º (?) corner add a radius. It may help even out the stress on that point, and you might get more strength. 

Although I believe they always test these measurements with these dog bone samples, which have a more evenly distribution of force. With your manual test I think the shape of the model also influenced the breaking, so that may also be why you didn't reach it's full theoretical strength. 

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

Do I see it correctly that it broke exactly in a corner? Perhaps it could be interesting to take some of @SteveCox3D 's design for additive manufacturing tips into account and instead of the 45º (?) corner add a radius. It may help even out the stress on that point, and you might get more strength. 

Although I believe they always test these measurements with these dog bone samples, which have a more evenly distribution of force. With your manual test I think the shape of the model also influenced the breaking, so that may also be why you didn't reach it's full theoretical strength. 

Absolutely, I would consider this not be a good test - only some indicator.  The carabiner was something i found on Thingiverse.  Tensile testers use dogbone samples, and pull at a very specific rate in a straight line - I definitely do not expect this to hit perfect theoretical numbers, but it was weaker than I had mentally planned.  The surface finish is strange, I cant tell if it is the carbon fiber or if there are some bubbles in the material (indicating water content).

We have a device than can behave like a tensile tester, as soon as I find the fixtures for it, I will test some samples for fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen this material heavily advertised and like most CF filaments, do not seem to live up to the advertising hype.

I have thought about trying this material out, to see how it compared to ColorFabb's CF (which is a nightmare to use)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my latest NylonX creation.  It is a bracket used to remove a steel core from a molded cylinder shape.  Kind of difficult to explain, but this particular plastic molded part had a feature that had to have reverse draft, so it has a part of the injection mold stuck inside of it even after the mold opens.  After we remove the part, we can push the part out the non-reverse draft way and make another part.  Very time consuming, but it had to be done.

Anyways, this part will replace an ABS part that only lasted (6) tries.  Hopefully this one lasts longer.  Otherwise, we have aluminum machined brackets coming in another week or so.  Production must go on!

0.5mm SS nozzle

0.2 layer

6 walls

40% fill

260*C at the nozzle

100*C bed

no cooling

Ultimaker adhesion sheets

Emergency super glue application to keep part stuck to bed  ?

~20 hours to print.

image.thumb.png.f9ced303e00a7818e0900735d7a6357c.png

image.thumb.png.f5a65819ce3a8174bdc044f7a952b540.png

image.thumb.png.519354f05a89ecf63847419377b6a3a9.png