filament diameter compatibility

Posted · filament diameter compatibility

Hi community

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I didn't find anything on that matter:

Can the UM handle 1.75mm filament? I keep reading that there are filaments that are too thick because of bad tolerances, but how about too small diameters?

Maybe the stuff gets curled up inside the bowden tube, or maybe it just fits perfectly?

I'm asking because I'm interested in buying some "Aurora" filament from faberdashery, but they only have that in 1.75mm diameter...

regards

Jonny

Also (probably) a nozzle, teflon tube, peek, brass tube all made for 1.75mm filament.

The simplest/most effective way to switch would probably be to purchase an E3D hotend that's made for 1.75 filament, and have two print heads that you switch between when you want to print in different filament diameter - assembly of the stock UM printhead is a pain in the ass, because the tightness of the thumbscrews affects the nozzle location so much, and the wire routing is challenging.

I suspect in this setup, you could probably keep the 3.0mm bowden tube.

Mhm.. I might try that if I find a suitable smaller Bowden tube somewhere.

But probably not before I got everything else working, I don't even have my UM yet...

Thanks for the help!

regards

Jonny

You might like to take a look at this post for the settings I used after you get the new insert for the Bowden tube...

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5739-175mm-filament-on-ultimaker-2/

You may need to tinker with the "Flow %" and the "Speed" slightly to get the settings that are right for your application.