Cura does not connect to network printer if the printer wasn't started before Cura

klaus_kraemer

Posted (edited) · Cura does not connect to network printer if the printer wasn't started before Cura

Sometimes it's quite annoying - why does Cura only recognize an UM3 when the UM3 is already switched on before Cura got started?

If you have Cura already running and switch on your UM3 afterward, Cura won't connect to the UM3.

If Cura has been started before the printer has been switched on there is only one solution: close Cura, switch on your UM3 and then restart Cura. Not very convenient...

Edited by klaus_kraemer

Posted · Cura does not connect to network printer if the printer wasn't started before Cura

I agree it's a pain, did you try "manage printers" and just refresh? easier than restarting cura.... but again I agree this should not be necessary....

image.png.0f38294f648d6fb689be3f99fd0b1615.png

Posted · Cura does not connect to network printer if the printer wasn't started before Cura

What OS are you using? Does it matter how long Cura has been running before it stops recognising new printers? Is it a consistent thing or just sometimes?

8 hours ago, ahoeben said:

What OS are you using? Does it matter how long Cura has been running before it stops recognising new printers? Is it a consistent thing or just sometimes?

It's Windows 10, the "thing" is very much consistent and can be reproduced by 100%. No , it does not matter how long Cura has been running - it's simply about the order what's been started / switched on first.

You start Cura before switching on the printer, Cura's only offered choice is "Save to File"...

9 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

I agree it's a pain, did you try "manage printers" and just refresh? easier than restarting cura.... but again I agree this should not be necessary....

image.png.0f38294f648d6fb689be3f99fd0b1615.png

Never tried this, because I didn't connect "managing" Printers to the problem. Sure will try these days as a workaround.

Yay for windows issues. This is actually an issue with Windows which caches certain things. It should re-do it after 30 minutes, but I can understand people not wanting to wait for that.

Quite hard to believe there shouldn't be a way to get around this behaviour. Ok there's no printer driver for UM3 as far as I know, But continually testing an IP connection should be feasible anyway...

Hi newie with a mini pro 3d printer; I just checked the minimum specs and my pc laptop passes with flying colors; doing a quick test, have the micro usb cable hooked; Cura "sees" the printer, but keeps asking for a network. But no network is required, correct?

Thanks!

Steve