Current recommendations for ASA and PETG

Posted · Current recommendations for ASA and PETG

Good morning everyone.  I have a couple of things coming up, one for an item that has to live outdoors, so getting wet and UV will be regular things but strength requirements would be average.  The other something that needs to be strong but doesn't need super fine detail.

I've avoided ABS up till now and would prefer to stay away from it if I can.  Will ASA do what I need for the outdoor piece?  IF so, what experiences have folks had with ApolloX?

PETG wise, how has it gone with HDGlass?

I'm also toying with trying one or both of these prints with some Nylforce CF, but I think the nylon is not going to like the wet.  Am I off base on that?

Thanks in advance?

John

• 1 month later...

Hi, just one thing - Nylon has to be *printed* dry (otherwise there will be steam bubbles and material degradation), but once the object is finished, absorbed water tends to actually improve the material properties, especially toughness.

I have no experience with the other materials you mentioned, but PETG should be worth a try too, as well as ASA - maybe you can get samples or something, so you don't have to order a full spool.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:59 PM, JohnInOttawa said:

I've avoided ABS up till now and would prefer to stay away from it if I can.  Will ASA do what I need for the outdoor piece?  IF so, what experiences have folks had with ApolloX?

PETG wise, how has it gone with HDGlass?

I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but i tried HDGlass and all parts come out quite brittle. In addition: I don't like the 'look and feel' and finally gave up with it. Instead i use either Ultimaker CPE or colorfabb nGen nowadays.

ApolloX is relatively easy to print (compared to ABS) and looks very nice. I printed some simple brackets in dark grey that are outdoors for approx. a year now. There's no visible discoloration or degradation. I'm not sure, if it is more 'healthy' to print, but IMHO it fulfills the promises as an UV stable alternative to ABS (it's only my gut feeling of course).

4 hours ago, P3D said:

@tinkergnome: Would you mind sharing your CPE Settings? I can't seem to get rid of those crumbs and ensuing holes in the walls...

Well, i can probably export the profile from Simplify3D, but i did nothing fancy with it and i guess this is not very helpful, if you use a different slicer...?

Although: "try a different slicer" would be probably a good advise as well...?

That HDGlass experience is concerning.  I'll look out for those alternatives.  I do have a roll of the HDGlass on hand that I am unlikely to find a home for, will give it a try and post results.  Might just be an incompatible choice for the ultimaker.

Thanks again

John