Have you seen this before ?

BerndL

Posted · Have you seen this before ?

IMG_20180718_084126.thumb.jpg.1a37828ee9e19036bbbdfea1d72e12b0.jpg

Who knows this Problem? Found this morning! Who knows how to remove this material ??

( Ultimake 3+,    1/2 year old ) Thanks for your ideas, Bernd

Hi BerndL, welcome to the forums, although I wish it was under different circumstances. 

It looks like your print got detached from the build plate during the print. What happens then is that it gets attached to the print head and gets dragged along its movement. Instead of new layers being deposited, all filament is being accumulated on the same spot and can form such a bulge. 

I would recommend to get in touch with your reseller. They should help you get your Ultimaker back in working condition. 

For future references, make sure your bed adhesion is sufficient. What do you usually do to level or clean your bed? Do you use any adhesives?

Thank you, and good luck!

There's a good chance your reseller will fix this for free, or if you damage the printer repairing it (after they give you permission) they may give you parts for free.

This is usually called a "head flood".

To clean it yourself (again I strongly recommend you at least contact your reseller before doing anything) you need a heat gun and lots of patience.  Also heat up the nozzles to 200C.  Expect this cleanup to take 2 to 4 hours of work and you may still damage one or both cores and or part of the print head.  Everything is fixable though.

To prevent it from happening again you might want to watch my video:

I had the same thing happen on my U2+ on an overnight print. The PLA all backed up into the extruder body.

I removed the screws that i could and used a small heat gun to soften the plastic, then patiently snipped and pull away the material.

I also ran my extruder up to temperature to help release it from the inside.

A pair of side cutters, needle nosed pliers and pokey tools will help.

be patient. I got it all out. Only to do the same thing a month later.

Kevin