Ultimaker2 - print head grinding on one axis and not moving

chenobble

Posted · Ultimaker2 - print head grinding on one axis and not moving

I turned on my printer after a couple of months being unused and tried to run a test print.

The standard warmup went through successfully and the print head moved to the middle of the bed with no issues.

However, as soon as it started printing, any time the head was supposed to move side to side the printer gave out a horrible grinding noise, the belts juddered and the head hardly moved.

I quickly aborted the print but instead of returning to home position the head simply stayed still, continually giving off the grinding noise, then stopped and displayed an 'ER07' error.

It seems like the left-right movement is failing due to either the belt or the motor or something is jamming the mechanism - looking from above the front-to-back axle likes slightly off-straight.

This feels like a pretty serious issue.  Any advice?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2 - print head grinding on one axis and not moving

Can you move the head in x direction by hand when it is switched off? If yes, does it feel normal (compared to the y axis)?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2 - print head grinding on one axis and not moving
    1 hour ago, chenobble said:

Just tried - the head isn't moving at all when I try to move it by hand - not even in the y-axis.

When the printer is switched off? That would be very unusual.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

I can understand it not moving in one axis but both?  Push hard enough to slide the printer around on the table - well 2X harder than that actually if it's a bit stuck.  You had power off?  You should be able to move the head in one axis by just using one finger of each hand on the sliding blocks.

I think you are going to take this all apart.  I had one UM2 I repaired that required a hammer and vicegrips (set loosely) to get the brass tube bearing (hidden inside those side blocks) off of the side rod.  There was some kind of stain on the side of the printer - I think someone sprayed polyethylene paint or something (or hairspray?) and it completely jammed up one of the 4 sliding blocks.  I was able to clean it with paint thinner and the printer is as good as new now.

It could be one of many parts jamming it up and I don't think you will know unless you take it all apart.  Don't take apart the frame - just the gantry.  There are videos showing how to do this.

Hi gr5,

I am having the same problem as chenobble.  The only difference is that the X motion is not moving.  I can see the motor spinning and the belt is jumping over the teeth of the gear.  I cannot move the X motion.

You said there are videos showing how to remove the gantry.  Can you direct me to them or provide a link?

Thanks.

My printer had started giving off the same grinding noise and I was trying to follow the steps you guys had mentioned in this post; and now there is another problem. As soon as I turn on the printer it starts printing on its own. 

Can you please help me? 

I have uploaded the video on the following link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1plOdscqiaD9iZ7gG5l15u9OQdNqLHmaC