Curvature and different width in some layers

jetlee

Posted · Curvature and different width in some layers

Hey,

I am having a problem with printing PLA and I have tried to change the settings multiple times, and sometimes it prints well and other times it's a complete disaster. The main issue is the fact that in the first layers, the pieces are becoming bent, and I know its due to the printbed temperature, and I have lowered it, but sometimes it still happens, as you can see in the pictures attached. Another problem is the sudden change in width  I am having, after a few layers, it suddenly drops a lot,and very slowly starts to go to the correct dimension, as you can see in the second picture. The third problem is warping. I know how to solve it, but it happens way too often, and I need to control these problems a lot more in order to progress with the work I'm doing, so if I can get some tips, that would be great. Thank you in advance

20180903_100117.jpg

20180903_100129.jpg

20180903_100140.jpg

I would say, you are printing too hot when looking on the holes in the first and second picture.

Which profile/settings are you using, the default PLA material setting with the default Cura settings are working fine out of the box. 

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Which profile/settings are you using, the default PLA material setting with the default Cura settings are working fine out of the box. 

When printing large parts with Ultimaker PLA, I lower the build plate temp to 40°C. Otherwise I get elephant feet and slight deformations.

But like @Smithy mentioned, the rest of the settings are pretty perfect.

When I used the default settings without some tweaks, major problems occur ever since I started using PLA from another manufacturer. The holes in the second pictures are like that because one of us in the laboratory tried to assemble the screws in the holes, but they were a bit small, that why they look like that. I have lowered the temperatures from the ones I was using, but I'll post the settings I'm using right now (note: I'm am using a 0.25 printcore right now, but I can post the settings for the 0.4 too):

Layer Height - 0.06
    Initial Layer Height - 0.17
    Line Width - 0.23
    Wall Line Width - 0.23
    Infill Line Width - 0.23
    Support Line Width - 0.23
    Wall Thickness - 0.7
    Top/Bottom Thickness - 0.72
    Enable Ironing - No
    Infill Density - 100%
    Infill Layer Thickness - 0.06
    Gradual Infill Steps - 0
    Printing Temperature - 210º
    Build Plate Temperature - 65º
    Diameter - 2.85
    Flow - 100
    Enable Retraction - Yes
    Print Speed - 25
    Infill Speed - 25
    Wall Speed - 25
    Top/Bottom Speed - 25
    Support Speed - 20
    Support Infill Speed - 20
    Travel Speed - 250
    Initial Layer Speed - 30
    Equalize Filament Flow - No
    Print Acceleration - 2000
    Travel Acceleration - 5000
    Print Jerk - 25
    Travel Jerk - 30
    Combing Mode - Off
    Z Hop When Retracted - Yes
    Enable Print Cooling - Yes
    Fan Speed - 100
    Generate Support - Yes
    Support Placement - Everywhere
    Support Density - 30
    Support Infill Layer Thickness - 0.1
    Build Plate Adhesion Type - Brim
    Brim Width - 8
    Brim Only on Outside - Yes
    Enable Prime Tower - No
    Enable Draft Shield - No

In my opinion the bed temperature is too high, set it a little bit lower. Default is 60° but as DF-Werkzeugservice said, it is maybe better to lower it even more. 

And 210° print temperature is in a normal range with the 0.4er nozzle, but with 0.25 it could also be a little bit too high. Try to lower it to 200° or even 190°. You don't need much melted material with the 0.25 print core and a low speed of 25mm/sec as you have configured, so I think that cooler is better. 

I use different kinds of PLA manufactures like Colorfabb, Ultimaker, Innofil, but I use for all the default settings and adjust only when doing "abnormal" things ? 

Hmm, I will try that then, maybe my problems will be fixed. Thank you ?

You said your problems started as you switched to PLA from another manufacturer. So keep also in mind, that the PLA you currently use, could also be of bad quality. Maybe only this spool or even the manufacturer produces bad (but cheap) filament.

Not necessary to buy only Ultimaker filament, but it should be a good quality.

No, it has printed good things and bad things, when some of the settings change, or when the pieces are larger or smaller. There are many variables changing at the time, so I am still trying to master one material

Ok, then try first with he cooler settings. 

Is there a good reason why you use 0.25 print core with 0.06 layer height? I mean for the part in your photo is is not really needed I think, but maybe you are printing other objects as well and you need this high resolution. 

With these setup, each part will take many many hours or days to complete.

Yes, I will.

The smaller piece (the one who suffered from warping) has a "slot" that has to be at exactly 9 degrees relative to the vertical, and it has slots for screws and nuts, and they need to bery very precise, that's why I'm using the smaller print core. For the larger piece, I am going to use the 0.4 print core.

I have noticed the difference in time, yes...

Ok, understood - just thought you are printing rough parts with 0.25 ?