Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Dragon2781

How to move the head to a specific location after each layer?

Hi there!

I just saw this video from 'Make Anything' about making timelapse videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is10iN43UjI

I need help finding a way to move the Printhead of my UM3 to a specific location after each layer to physically press the button of a remote shutter.

Is there a way to do that by the 'Post processing > Modify G-code' in Cura?

Please help :)

You don't have to. Add a small tower of "support material", don't put any material in the feeder. and remove the option for Prime tower. 

your printer will try to print a small thing in the air.

For the Gcode I think you could just locate the when the Z axis is moved and add you line, but I'm think this is difficult to achieve versus the solution already implemented....

Or another solution would be same as before but you could edit the Gcode and remove the 2nd printing material part. Your printer will again go the the switch material area.

@Swissengineer I tested your method but there is a problem.

After printing the 'Dummy Object' with the empty Nozzle the Printhead comes back to the switch-position and would make an other picture. So I would have two pictures of every layer.... 😐 It would be very anoying to delete every second picture on the memory card...

Edited by Dragon2781

I use Octoprint with the Octolapse plugin (easily installed through GUI).  It uses USB cameras to take pictures and create a video.  It automates moving the head to a specific spot after each layer, takes a picture, and creates a video after the print is done or fails.  Raspberry pi 3+ is around $32, A case and power supply is around $13 including heat sinks.  You need an SD card but most people have a ton of those laying around.  Well worth the investment IMHO.

• Like 1