Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Kakos

Vase mode multi wall lines

I was wondering if you can print in vase mode, but multiple wall lines. How can you make a vase more rigid?

I used to print vases at 0% infill and 0.8 or 1.2 wall thickness. My issue is that when i scale up a model, the wall get too thick and i'm wasting filament, time and space inside the vase.

Thanks

Vase mode is also known as spiralize mode or in Cura "Spiralize Outer Contour". So therefore it is not possible to have more than 1 wall line. In this mode there is not real layer in z direction. The bottom is printed normal, but then the print head spiralize to the top with continuous move in z direction.

I get quite strong objects with a thicker nozzle (0.8) and I additionally set the line width to 1mm. 

Infill setting is irrelevant for vase mode. But I don't understand why you get thicker walls when you scale up the object? In vase mode this should not happen. Or you use not really the vase mode in your slicer?

• Like 1

Hey Smithy thanks for the reply, 

Yeah I just started using vase mode. Before I would just set the infill to 0% and have two lines, space between them and then joined at the top to form the wall. (So if the wall of a model was 5mm, I would have two walls, 0.8mm each and a 3.4mm gap)

There is no way to just have one wall and choose its thickness without changing the nozzle?

As Smithy said, if you use spiralize than you'd only have one wall. You can change the line width but depending on the nozzle size you use, there are certain limits.

Do you have one specific example? If so, maybe post a link to the model you want to print and your print settings.

As a kluge, you can up your line width without going to a larger nozzle size.

The best and most assured way is the larger nozzle. But I have pushed my 0.4 nozzles to do a 0.6 line width with no issues. You may have to play with temp and extrusion rates though.