Vase mode multi wall lines

Kakos

Posted · Vase mode multi wall lines

I was wondering if you can print in vase mode, but multiple wall lines. How can you make a vase more rigid?

I used to print vases at 0% infill and 0.8 or 1.2 wall thickness. My issue is that when i scale up a model, the wall get too thick and i'm wasting filament, time and space inside the vase.

Thanks

• Like 1

Vase mode is also known as spiralize mode or in Cura "Spiralize Outer Contour". So therefore it is not possible to have more than 1 wall line. In this mode there is not real layer in z direction. The bottom is printed normal, but then the print head spiralize to the top with continuous move in z direction.

I get quite strong objects with a thicker nozzle (0.8) and I additionally set the line width to 1mm. 

Infill setting is irrelevant for vase mode. But I don't understand why you get thicker walls when you scale up the object? In vase mode this should not happen. Or you use not really the vase mode in your slicer?

• Like 1

Hey Smithy thanks for the reply, 

Yeah I just started using vase mode. Before I would just set the infill to 0% and have two lines, space between them and then joined at the top to form the wall. (So if the wall of a model was 5mm, I would have two walls, 0.8mm each and a 3.4mm gap)

There is no way to just have one wall and choose its thickness without changing the nozzle?

As Smithy said, if you use spiralize than you'd only have one wall. You can change the line width but depending on the nozzle size you use, there are certain limits.

Do you have one specific example? If so, maybe post a link to the model you want to print and your print settings.

I also think it is better when you can post a picture what you mean. 

Generally in vase mode, only the outer wall is used and the wall thickness is more less your nozzle size.

As a kluge, you can up your line width without going to a larger nozzle size.

The best and most assured way is the larger nozzle. But I have pushed my 0.4 nozzles to do a 0.6 line width with no issues. You may have to play with temp and extrusion rates though.

Lack imagination...

1: Maybe Cura doesn't happen to do multiple walls in vase mode, but there's no reason it couldn't. It's not like there is anything about a spiral pattern that prohibits it. It's a perfectly reasonable idea and question, and it's physically perfectly possible.

2: So, moving on, fine, Cura's vase mode can't do it. Perhaps a good-enough next best thing in real-world terms is just set walls to 999?

If your model is solid, then maybe first generate a slightly smaller scale copy, and generate a difference in a cad program where you have the smaller copy subtract from the original copy, so ypu're left with a shell that's however thick you want.
    It won't be exactly like a multi-wall vase mode, just mostly. Vase mode would have no vertical seam. Walls=999 would. Or it could have a lot of random points instead of a seam, and with layer change wipe, that might be blended out pretty well. You could probably fake it pretty well with some playing around.

@Kakos my understanding of what you are trying to do is make a vase with, say, 2 or 3 walls, and that the prior way you did that was to model, for example, a 5mm wall but then print with zero infil causing the wall to be hollow. But that also means the wall would grow to 10mm thick if you doubled the size of the vase.

Hopefully I got that right.

Another way to consider is:

1. design the vase as a solid form. Not modeling the inside surface...only the outside.
    2. slice it with 0% infill, 2 walls, however many layers (or thickness) you want for the bottom, and 0 top layers.

This will print exactly 2 walls, well bonded, a bottom, and no top. It also means that even with a complex wall shape, every slice will have exactly the number of walls you specify.

The “Shell” command in Fusion 360 (don’t know what it’s called in other programs) is often used to creat constant thickness walls for this kind of model, but it creates a model where the distance is constant along the normals of each oint on the surface. A simple mold, for example, with a 10 degree slope and a shell 1.6mm thick produces a thickness in the slicing planes slightly less than 1.6mm...1.576mm. This can cause it to slice with, for example 3 walls instead of 4, and then try to fill the gap as infil.

• Like 3

Another way to consider is:

1. design the vase as a solid form. Not modeling the inside surface...only the outside.
    2. slice it with 0% infill, 2 walls, however many layers (or thickness) you want for the bottom, and 0 top layers.

This will print exactly 2 walls, well bonded, a bottom, and no top. It also means that even with a complex wall shape, every slice will have exactly the number of walls you specify.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great idea.

Hi, @Brian_K_White
    This has been a really interesting thread progression since your original question. Did you have luck with the method that @johnse suggested? If so, please share a photo!

I used spiralize in Cura to print a multi-faceted vase. Although it printed fine, with the resulting thin wall you could squeeze the finished model just from gentle holding. This vase would hold artificial flowers okay but was rather unstable at holding a bunch of fresh flowers in water. So with a different vase but equally complex shape, I passed it through Meshmixer using the hollow command. Because this command treats the object as internal hollowing I had to slice the top thickness using plane cut to make it an open vase. But what I now had was a vase with a much thicker wall and greater stability. Of course it takes much longer to print but provides a more practical thin wall than spiralize offers.

• Like 1

One obvious change to make is to use wider wall lines. I have printed spiralized vases in PETG using 0.6mm wide lines from a 0.4mm nozzle and they are quite watertight and not easily damaged.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 4:33 PM, Kakos said:

Hey Smithy thanks for the reply, 

Yeah I just started using vase mode. Before I would just set the infill to 0% and have two lines, space between them and then joined at the top to form the wall. (So if the wall of a model was 5mm, I would have two walls, 0.8mm each and a 3.4mm gap)

There is no way to just have one wall and choose its thickness without changing the nozzle?

I made it.
    Set infill 100% deactivate spiralize mode unless if you check the "Spiralize Outer Contour".