Solidworks and Ultimaker - Post your Questions and Info here

fons

Posted · Solidworks and Ultimaker - Post your Questions and Info here

Hi,

Is it normal that Solidworks has difficulties to make a smooth STL file, especially round shaped models . Rising the resolution when exporting is an option of course but is also very demanding for our desktop .Is there a better way to convert from Solidworks, being able to import into Cura and have it printed smooth .

Has anyone encountered a similar issue ?

Thx.

I don't know about solidworks specifically, but remember that stl files are composed of lots of flat (usually) triangular surfaces. So all modeling packages have to do some degree of approximation when exporting curved surfaces, in order to convert a continuous curved surface into lots of tiny triangles that appear to form a continuous surface when seen from far enough away.

Usually you can adjust the resolution of the mesh that is output and/or the amount of deviation from the 'ideal' curve that you will allow. I think that finding and adjusting those settings during the STL output step will help to solve your problem, but I don't know the specific steps you need.

Save as -> stl.

Output ->Binary

Resolution:Custom

Deviation: Set the bar to middle

Angle: 5deg

Save all components to single stl. file -> Is easier than Cura project planner

If the file is still not smooth, lower the angle and set the deviation to a lower value

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Although this answer is far too late to be good, I just want to thank you for the advice given . We managed to transfer an acceptable smooth shape to Cura through adjusting parameters in Solidworks as Chuleo advised . Meanwhile I am struggling to print the object which made me forget to reply to this one, this I will post in another topic .

Thanks again to Chuleo and Illuminarti,

Aum .

i dont really see any problem here.

create your model or assembly in solidowks. then export as STL... set the quality to max... takes a few minutes to pop it out... then bring it into Cura... setup and let that cook the model for a minute until you have your GCODE...

I mean even if the model is big and complex. you should still have no problems.. it will just take a few more minutes...

I printed off a few solidworks models last night and the output quality and line smoothness is just... fantastic... couldnt ask for better :)

Ian :)

Solidworks and Ultimaker - Post your Questions and Info here

I'm alo working with solidworks and following the info above I have nothing to claim about the achieved quality of the stl or the derived prints...

Usually I design and print small stuff for my blade mcpx helicopter and this come out great.

a quick solidworks question for the pros here.

if i have a circle in sketch and i want to setup a reference distance between the top point of the circle to a wall.

Is there some way of giving that top point of the cirlce a control point, so i can directly pick the top and do my relation to the wall?

thanks guys.

Ian :-)

Not sure if this is what you meant but if you use the smart dimension tool just click on the line of the wall first, then hold down shift and click roughly at the top of the circle and it'll lock to the top edge of that circle.

You can put a sketch point there as well if you simply hover over the circle edge until the little yellow "handles" show up (but of course that only works if you want the point in the north/south/east/west positions).

thats exactly what i need to know !!

thanks robert !!

Ian :)