How to infill every 2-3 layers?

swatti

Posted · How to infill every 2-3 layers?

I have a large'ish nozzle
I do 100% infilled parts

I do low .2 wall layers

Doing infills every layers is kinda pointless. Takes LOTS of time and since i do 0.2mm (or lower) layers i could infilling every 2-3 layers and it would still look good and be durable. I did this back when i was using Simplify3D and it worked... But as we know, S3D is, well... Poopy. 

"Infill layer thickness" -option doesnt seem to do much of anything even if doubled or tripled. It still does infilling every layer.

I guess it is broken then... I checked with a different gcode viewer in case it is a visualisation issue in Cura, but you are right: even when the Infill layer thickness is set to a multiple of the layer height, an infill pattern is created on every layer.

Your best bet is if @bagel-orb or @smartavionics have a look at it.

If a (part of a) layer is too thin to be printed at the 0.3mm layer height it will print it at the normal 0.15mm layer height.

I don't have any problems with Infill Layer Thickness here on the master branch, though... I have infill printed every other layer for the most part of my angled cube.

3 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

If a (part of a) layer is too thin to be printed at the 0.3mm layer height it will print it at the normal 0.15mm layer height.

I don't have any problems with Infill Layer Thickness here on the master branch, though... I have infill printed every other layer for the most part of my angled cube.

99/100% Infill?

Post me a project-file with your settings in it. I wanna see what i have different.

99% of course; 100% infill makes no infill but uses top/bottom everywhere.

I'm on master, so I don't think you can use my project files.

If your problem keeps ocuring I suggest you make a new issue at github.com/ultimaker/cura and fill in the complete issue template.

Can you install the normal version and give it a quick test? Does it show in the preview on master, i'd imagine it does or should. 

If its a problem with this version, i can give it rest for a while and/or make a topic on github.

I need to ficure out if its MY settings, this current version or something else.

Okay here is the 3.4.1 version.

Can't see the problem on that version either.

layer_thickness.curaproject.3mf

PROGRESS!

Its somehow connected to the pattern! 
    Triangles seem to be able to do once every 2 layers but "lines" "grid" and "Zig Zag" can only do every 1 layer.

I'd say those three are the only patterns "viable" for good 100% (or 99%) infill. Infill crossing over existing ones is meant for less than 100% infilled models and doing fat lines that cross over existing lines would end up in bumps.

So, the question now is: How do i make lines, grid or zigzag every 2-3 layers? ?

Ive done some testing and it seems that for some reason when the infill line distance is below 1mm it doesn't work. (The infill pattern influences the infill line distance)

This is a very peculiar bug!

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/blob/master/src/skin.cpp :: 160

Applying a fix right now via the Github interface :P

Thanks for reporting, hopefully this will reach Cura 3.5.1

Posted (edited) · How to infill every 2-3 layers?

EDIT: Forgot, this is on 3.4.1
    I will test 3.5 and get back to you.

MAJOR BUG found in spaghetti infill.

I finally found a nice settings that work with spaghetti and do what the initial target was, but the spaghetti is broken, baaad.

Once a more complex than a test-cube is sliced, it makes random spot of infill into gigantic. Different flow, inset and extra volume -settings change how messed up it is but there doesnt seem to be a "trick" to getting a clean print.

Kinda sad, i printed the test-cube at hilarious rate and it all looked so good.

PIC1 - Copy.jpg

Edited by swatti
    "oops"

Posted (edited) · How to infill every 2-3 layers?

3.5 has bugs in spaghetti. Seems 2 walls has "least" bugs. Up that to 3 and things explode.

EDIT: Kinda hilarious, even the mighty Bondtech starts to tear into the filament when im ramming it in 0.9mm layers out of a 0.6 nozzle at 200mms. Even at 230c it wont melt fast enough and yes, i have the volcano.

Edited by swatti

Perhaps a negative spaghetti inset causes the bug. I suggest making it zero instead of a negative number.

3 hours ago, bagel-orb said:

Perhaps a negative spaghetti inset causes the bug. I suggest making it zero instead of a negative number.

Tried both ways. The bugged bits change but are present.

Perhaps it is not a bug. It could be trying to fill a large infill region from a small island above that.

Spaghetti infill was made for filaments which are especially fluid, so that the material can flow to the big regions below.

The layer view doesn't handle it like that, though.

Please attach a .curaproject file which produces the bug.

Ookkey, here is the project-file.

I hope this gets into the next update. Or the "regular" infill thickness can be changed. Eighter way would do for me.

ODST supressor..3mf

It seems to me that it is trying to fill a large volume from only the most north part. If your filament would have been liquid it could have filled all the cravices.

You shouldn't be using Spaghetti infill on solid filaments; it's supposed to be used on liquid filaments.
    Please use Infill Thickness if you want to print infill only every couple of layers.