Cura won't load model

SneakyGit

Posted · Cura won't load model

Trying to load a .3mf file I have created in cura, it says "Warning: the selected file was too small to load." and won't load it.  The model is the same size as other models I have loaded, in fact it will load the same model without some small holes I have put in it.  Is this a problem anyone else has had?  I cannot find the error anywhere on cura's guides.

cura_bug.png

Posted (edited) · Cura won't load model

In order to diagnose this issue, we require the following log files;
            (Windows) %APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log, or usually C:\Users\\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log
             (OSX) $USER/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log
            (Ubuntu / Linux) $USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log (Ubuntu/Linux)

If the Cura user interface still starts, you can also reach this directory from the application menu by Help -> Show settings folder

Edited by nallath

Posted (edited) · Cura won't load model

After clearing the log file and then restarting cura and trying to load the model again (same result) I have attached the log file.  I have managed to get it to slice the model by saving it as a .stl file, it's the same model but cura can load it in that form.

cura.log

Edited by SneakyGit

Usually when you get that error, it means it was modeled in the wrong scale.

11 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

Like something I might be able to fix?

Depends on your skill level within whatever package you are using.

12 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

I designed it in with no problems

Sorry to disagree, but if there is an error, there is a mistake. I have never had a model not load, and I make some really crazy, difficult geometry. File size has been my only enemy. And a feisty enemy it can be.

13 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

has no visible mistakes.

Not the same things as a technical error. Viewers are very sloppy in what they can do and forgive. Double faces, flipped normals, errant vertices, etc. are not taken into account.

13 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

The model loads in the 3D viewer

3D Viewers are scale independent. Apples and oranges.

You've misread the no problems part, I was saying it loads with no problems (as in load errors) in the viewer I designed it in.  (It's the 3D builder that comes with windows 10 so not just a viewer.)  I can't see how it can be a scale problem, I have a model that is the same as this one but without some small holes I made in it and that loads in cura fine.  It's certainly not scale independant, you input the size in mm (or whatever units you have set) for everything you add.  What do you mean by file size, is there a limit in what cura will load?

6 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

You've misread the no problems part, I was saying it loads with no problems (as in load errors) in the viewer I designed it in.

Does not matter. It is a very low end program. Good for fiddling about, but not really that great. Ame logic applies.

7 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

I can't see how it can be a scale problem, I have a model that is the same as this one but without some small holes I made in it and that loads in cura fine.

Well, since you say that, I can offer nothing that you want since I found the application that comes with Win 10 extremely limited. But, to be redundant, if there is a problem loading it, it is a problem with the model or the program it was created in, and not Cura.

8 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

It's certainly not scale independant, you input the size in mm (or whatever units you have set) for everything you add. 

Apparently something went awry.

8 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

What do you mean by file size, is there a limit in what cura will load?

yepperz. I usually try to stay below a total of 750MB on models loaded otherwise it will slice, save and then not load when recalled at a later date. Like I said, I do crazy difficult geometry. Though they say that it can only capture so much detail, I have learned how to squeeze out extra details when slicing. But it comes at a cost in time.

Yeah, my file's not nearly that big.  I think I'm going to keep using 3D builder as it does everything I need fairly easily and has absolutely seamless touchscreen support which is surprisingly hard to come by and the only deal breaker for me.  Unless there's any software that can look at my model and find the reason it won't load I might try and create the same model again from scratch, see if cura will load it this time.

10 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

I think I'm going to keep using 3D builder

One should always use the program that is suited for them. Just know the limitations. That is all.

11 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

Unless there's any software that can look at my model

There are online services as well as programs like meshmixer that can help with that.

12 minutes ago, SneakyGit said:

I might try and create the same model again from scratch

Best way to learn. I used to tell my students not to try and beat a model into submission. Just start over. Teaches you better just by practice, but can also show you where a mistake may have happened.

Good luck. Hope you report back to find out what went wrong. It will help others using the same app you are since it comes with Win 10.

Update:  I made a new version of this and it loaded fine and I have now got it to print.  Yesterday I updated cura and the original model now loads in the new version with no problems so whatever problem it was must have been fixed in the update.