S5 Constant Loud Squeaking when Printing Circles

Shadowman

Posted (edited) · S5 Constant Loud Squeaking when Printing Circles

I ask the following to determine if normal as we are still getting familiar with the printer.

I did not mention this before even though it was heard because there are noises throughout our shop that make isolating noises often difficult. However, once we moved the printer into the office yesterday and started a print it became very apparent.

When printing circles it squeaks loud and constantly. I watched very closely and it squeaks when both the (as I looked from the front) left stepper motor and the right stepper motor are active. As soon as the right stepper motor stops so does the squeaking. Conversely, if the left stepper motor is active and the right stepper motor becomes active the squeak is back. Below are 2 videos; one while printing the test object and one simply circling the Prime Tower. For your information straight x and y printing is quiet; only when doing circles does it squeak; and it is pervasive and loud.

I tried to include a video but was not successful.

Edit; I was able to included a compressed version of a small sample.

Thank you 

Video.zip

Edited by Shadowman
added video

Posted · S5 Constant Loud Squeaking when Printing Circles

I see now videos, but the sound is different when printing circles. I can remember my wife said "Why is the printer singing?" And at this time a circle was printed.

So also without the chance to hear it, I would say it is normal.

• Like 1

It doesn't seem like I can unzip the folder, so I didn't see the video myself but perhaps a single drop of sewing machine oil could help reduce the squeak?

Well, the sound is overlain by the noise from the fans - but it seems to be the normal sound from the stepper motors if more than one axis is moved simultaneously. As @Smithy said - "don't worry - be happy" ?

(BTW: it seems like the "Video.zip" is actually a ".rar" file)

Thank you all

By the way; you are correct; it is a rar file that I changed the extension on to zip but most tools work with this act fine.