Slicing of multiple objects in Cura?

taires

Posted · Slicing of multiple objects in Cura?

Hello everyone,

after seeing work from the Ultimaker for some time I started working with it myself.

I got the latest Cura version and now am a little baffled.

I thought I had seen Cura producing GCode for the print of multiple objects all printed at the same time.

I tried this for myself and it seems as if that would not work anymore.

Whenever I load multiple STL's in Cura every object gets sliced separately.

This results in problems while printing since the print head will bump into finished parts on its way. I can't find an option to correct that and it seems to be a bug since I can't find positive points in this kind of procedure.

So: am I missing something here or is it an unnecessary feature(which I can't believe, since there should be at least some people who print more than one object at a time) or is it simply not being done yet and I just have to wait?

Thanks,

Taires

Go to "file" "preferences" and make sure all the values in "printer head size" are the correct dimensions for your printer. Hover over each value to see the recommended settings. You might want to instead run the wizard first (first 2 steps only) to setup these values to defaults.

Now Cura should:

1) Put the parts far enough apart

2) print them in order away from the fan first so that the fan is never near a finished print

If you really want to print all at once just set gantry height to 0 or set it to a value smaller than your tallest print and Cura will switch to "all at once" mode.

The problems with all at once mode:

1) Speed - It is much slower due to retraction and moving over to the next part. Possibly twice as long - why not just print them one at a time and remove after each? I know if they are small, quick prints it's better to print all at once.

2) Stringing - you might get some stringing between all the parts if you can't tune it just right.

3) surface quality - leaving and coming back to the external skin causes the part to not look as good

4) Disasters - if the print fails you lose all your prints instead of the current one.

one-at-a-time mode has one bad thing about it -

when is about to start the next print sometimes it extrudes/leaks onto the just finished print.

I have an issue with the one-at-a-time mode of printing multiple objects. Whenever I print two object (or more), after completing the first print, my hot end will somehow hit the first print and drag it with it to the area for the next print. The last time this happened, I lost both of my prints (duh) and had to completely re-level and adjust everything because the hot end literally smashed into the part it dragged. Is there any way I can make it stop this without going to all-at-once mode? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.