Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
AbeFM

Create a Printer Def

I've got a Creality CR-10S to which I did a little soldering and added another extruder, using e3d's Chimera+ (two hot ends with a fixed separation).

I couldn't take the CR-10's definition and add a head, I forget what I started with... But every time it gives me trouble, I wonder if the definition is the source of my problems.

Can anyone suggest the most reasonable way to create a definition? With the new version of CURA, my #2 extruder seems to be running at 10x speed and I'm not sure where to start.

Cura 3.5 has made it easier to change a single extruder definition to a multi-extruder definition, by requiring an extruder definition for the single extruder.

* Make a copy of the single extrusion definition (creality_cr10.def.json -> creality_cr10_dual.def.json)

* In creality_cr10_dual.def.json, change the name metadata and  "machine_extruder_trains" metadata:

{
            "0": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0"
            "1": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1"
        }

* Now you need to create those two extruder files:

* Copy extruders/creality_cr10_extruder_0.def.json -> extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json

* In extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json, change the id, and under metadata change the machine and position (position should be "1" for the second extruder).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG thanks for that!!!!!!

This is something I've been fighting for a long, long time, and more or less given up on. I'll try it out. Even the firmware can't seem to keep "is the second extruder #1 or #2" straight, but I think I can manage.