Create a Printer Def

AbeFM

Posted · Create a Printer Def

I've got a Creality CR-10S to which I did a little soldering and added another extruder, using e3d's Chimera+ (two hot ends with a fixed separation).

I couldn't take the CR-10's definition and add a head, I forget what I started with... But every time it gives me trouble, I wonder if the definition is the source of my problems.

Can anyone suggest the most reasonable way to create a definition? With the new version of CURA, my #2 extruder seems to be running at 10x speed and I'm not sure where to start.

Cura 3.5 has made it easier to change a single extruder definition to a multi-extruder definition, by requiring an extruder definition for the single extruder.

* Make a copy of the single extrusion definition (creality_cr10.def.json -> creality_cr10_dual.def.json)

* In creality_cr10_dual.def.json, change the name metadata and  "machine_extruder_trains" metadata:

{
                "0": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0"
                "1": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1"
            }

* Now you need to create those two extruder files:

* Copy extruders/creality_cr10_extruder_0.def.json -> extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json

* In extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json, change the id, and under metadata change the machine and position (position should be "1" for the second extruder).

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

OMG thanks for that!!!!!!

This is something I've been fighting for a long, long time, and more or less given up on. I'll try it out. Even the firmware can't seem to keep "is the second extruder #1 or #2" straight, but I think I can manage.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY trying this.

Notes:

In the extruder file:

I think 

"extruder_nr": { "default_value": 0 }, 

should be 1 as well, as in:

"overrides": {
            "extruder_nr": { "default_value": 1 },
            "machine_nozzle_size": { "default_value": 0.4 },
            "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 }
        }

------------------------

The other issue:

{
                "0": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0",
            }

You need a comma between the two entries in that ... list? array? Thing with bendy brackets. ?

Thanks again, going to try this out.

• 2 months later...
    On 10/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, ahoeben said:

Cura 3.5 has made it easier to change a single extruder definition to a multi-extruder definition, by requiring an extruder definition for the single extruder.

* Make a copy of the single extrusion definition (creality_cr10.def.json -> creality_cr10_dual.def.json)

* In creality_cr10_dual.def.json, change the name metadata and  "machine_extruder_trains" metadata:

{
                "0": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0"
            }

* Now you need to create those two extruder files:

* Copy extruders/creality_cr10_extruder_0.def.json -> extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json

* In extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json and extruders/creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json, change the id, and under metadata change the machine and position (position should be "1" for the second extruder).

I tried this along with the fixes @AbeFM mentioned, but when starting Cura it results the definition I made is corrupted and it doesn't show up. Any help?

51 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

You can check the json-files for formal errors on (e.g.)  https://jsonlint.com/

...and the reasons why Cura refuses the configuration are usually logged in "cura.log" in the configuration folder (in Cura: "Help" -> "Show Configuration Folder")

Good luck!

Hi there, I did it and now the machine is recognized correctly and Cura doesn't report any error, but the second extruder still doesn't appear in Cura.

These are the files in the extruder folder:

creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0.def.json

{
        "id": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_0",
        "version": 2,
        "name": "Extruder 1",
        "inherits": "fdmextruder",
        "metadata": {
            "machine": "creality_cr10_dual",
            "position": "0"
        },

"extruder_nr": { "default_value": 0 },
        }
    }

creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1.def.json

{
        "id": "creality_cr10_dual_extruder_1",
        "version": 2,
        "name": "Extruder 2",
        "inherits": "fdmextruder",
        "metadata": {
            "machine": "creality_cr10_dual",
            "position": "1"
        },

"extruder_nr": { "default_value": 1 },
        }
    }

ok, and what about the printer definition file?

There are two relevant settings that have to be overridden (AFAIK), "machine_extruder_trains" and "machine_extruder_count"

I think the latter was not yet mentioned above, you can copy it from "ultimaker_original_dual.def.json"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

ok, and what about the printer definition file?

There are two relevant settings that have to be overridden (AFAIK), "machine_extruder_trains" and "machine_extruder_count" 

I think the latter was not yet mentioned above, you can copy it from "ultimaker_original_dual.def.json"

Nice, it was that, thanks!

Are other strings needed for the dual extruding tweaks (for PVA and PLA mostly) like for example the prime tower position or can I just specify them in the profile?

I am also going to link this working cr-10 one to the cr-10s dual extruding. As I see the cr-10s machine definition is just a shortcut to the cr-10 with only a different name.

9 minutes ago, redslifer said:

Are other strings needed for the dual extruding tweaks (for PVA and PLA mostly) like for example the prime tower position or can I just specify them in the profile?

I have the suspicion that the prime tower position is calculated by the profile and the values in the definition file are not relevant at all, but who knows... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

I have the suspicion that the prime tower position is calculated by the profile and the values in the definition file are not relevant at all, but who knows... 🤷‍♂️

Uh, I have another question.. as I will use 2 different fans for each nozzle, what number do I need to use for fans in the machine profile? 0 and 1 or 1 and 2?