Cura 3.5 memory leak in Monitor

ahoeben

Posted · Cura 3.5 memory leak in Monitor

I am having similar issues with memory leak using just the standard Cura software (3.5.1), Octoprint is not installed (AFAIK). I tend to have SolidWorks running on my PC all day most days and it has a 'Resource Monitor' facility, which notifies me when the RAM is running low, helping to avoid crashes. The leak seems to happen if I leave Cura on the Monitor tab with the Video feed turned on. The last time this happened, I was able to stop and start the 'leak' by turning the feed on and off by clicking the blue camera icon in the Monitor tab sidebar. 

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.5 memory leak in Monitor

Make sure you update Octoprint in the plugins(Marketplace).  Maybe it matters even if you don't use it but it is enabled.  My main memory issue went away when I did that.

Edited by Adam324

• 1 month later...

Just a note on this. Not sure if it's still active. But Mac High Sierra, Cura 3.6.0, Octoprint and recently added Octolapse and a cam.

I had no Memory warnings or errors or ran out of Application memory before adding Octolapse or the cam

My Mac has seen Cura using as much as 65GB while sitting idle. In fact last night I left things on and Cura running (no print jobs, no octoprint windows open. Just Cura and it ballooned from 356KB to over 45GB of Memory use.

This is a leak, and significant. Now as I said before I just installed Octolapse and prior to that I had not seen these errors. But also note, before this I didn't have my cams hooked up either, so Octolapse itself could be a red herring. And as the dev stated, it could be tied into the camera piece. However if I don't have a browser up, how is octoprint then eating my memory Via Cura? There is no active cam data being viewed.. 

I still get the memory leak also in 3.5 and 3.6 with updated plugin (Windows 10 64bit, latest Microsoft updates).  I just close Cura after I start a print so it doesn’t crash out or cause other apps to crash or not work when they starved for memory.  With octolapse uninstalled, I don’t get the memory leak.  4.0 without octolapse has proven stable in memory too but I have a feeling once the plugin is released for that, the memory issues will come back.

i submitted info on this thread or the other one and posted that I had a crash dump (forced through task manager) when memory was at an extreme, but I didn’t see a reply in the thread that anyone wanted to see it.  I can do that again if needed. There should be a tool to view the crashdump and see what is taking up all the memory.  I recall a utility like that a long time ago when I was doing dev work where I worked but it has been a long time ago and don’t remember any of it.

The crashdump is of no use to me. At best it will show that Cura is taking up a lot of memory. We need to figure out where the leak is happening. 

As a workaround you should be able to prevent the videostream from displaying in the Connect to OctoPrint dialog

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.5 memory leak in Monitor

I did disable the video stream in 3.6 and the leak still happens.  It doesn’t appear to be the displaying of the video.

Edited by Adam324

All my plugins are up to day. Nothing needed an update. Interesting. I have not printed anything in 2 days, Cura has been up and it's memory allocation is fine.  Sooooo, umm I'm not sure what is going on. I'll see if I can print something and see if memory is consumed and grows after a print. But ya memory is fine at 350MB without activity. I do have a browser window for octoprint but it's not the one that being used.  I'll play around some more and see if I can see something 🙂