Breakaway Material Quality issues

MedTech

Posted · Breakaway Material Quality issues

Hi Everyone,

Just got a new Ultimaker 3 printer.  Things have been going fairly well.

We have been using a combination of White tough pla and Breakaway support.  

It seems we are getting a lot of oozing / stringing from the breakaway nozzle and its producing small skin tags on the model.

From inspection it looks like once the breakaway nozzle is raised up, material continues to ooze out.  To me it seems like the retraction isn't pulling the filament back enough to prevent oozing.

The software currently is 3.5.0.

Using Ultimaker brand filament and using recommended settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

IMG_20181017_174118 (1).jpg

Hi @SandervG,  The print cores are the official Ultimaker .4mm AA cores in both slots and the profile was the recommended standard .2 mm layer height from Cura.  

Supports were generated and build plate adhesion was added at a 20% infill.

No custom settings were made.

Done on Cura 3.5.

Thank you for the information. My first thought was that perhaps a BB core was installed which can cause a material other than PVA to ooze more, but I understand you used 2 AA print cores. 

Can you see if in Cura you have 'Limit support reractions' is enabled or disabled? 

Can you perhaps share a screenshot of Cura layerview with travel path from the area where it strings a lot ?

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, SandervG said:

Thank you for the information. My first thought was that perhaps a BB core was installed which can cause a material other than PVA to ooze more, but I understand you used 2 AA print cores. 

Can you see if in Cura you have 'Limit support reractions' is enabled or disabled? 

Can you perhaps share a screenshot of Cura layerview with travel path from the area where it strings a lot ?

Thanks! 

Hi Sander,

Please see attached.

I did have limit support retractions enabled and I shared a few screenshots of the travel.

One think  I did not was that when the nozzle switched to the main nozzle, the support nozzle was retracted up.  As I watched the support nozzle during nozzle 1 printing its layer, I noticed a small amount of plastic leaking out.  When the support nozzle became active and switched in the down position, that material that has oozed out was then driven into the side support wall and caused a skin tag.

I unfortunately have both white and white breakaway currenltly set up.  I will switch to a black filament I have to get some better contrast.

Limit Retraction.png

Layer slice.png

Layer slice with travel zoomed.png

Layers sclie with travel.png

@SandervG

Any thoughts?

Hi,

I try to print Pla Tough and breakaway. I have the same problem but less.,

I use UM3 / Cura 3.6 and I don't change the settings.

Could you say me which sttings I must change step by step ? Temperature ? retractation ? other ?

Thanks to your help.

I'm experiencing the same issue

Hey @mwally028,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Are you using the latest version of Ultimaker Cura? We made some improvements regarding stringing. 
    You can download it here: https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Thank you 🙏