UMO+ Electronics and Temp Sensing Issue

noctis

Posted (edited) · UMO+ Electronics and Temp Sensing Issue

Hi there

After some weeks of not printing, my modified UMO+ suddenly throws temperature errors.

Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
echo:SD init fail

which is strange as my manual readings are 43,8k for the Extruder and 117,5k Ohm for the custom heated bed.

If I check the temperature in Cura  it says 1100°C for the Bed and 0°C for the head.

I assumed the Arduino has a problem, but I changed that already. No difference.

Also, if I press the Home button, the printer head moves only in one direction.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Luke

Edited by noctis

Posted · UMO+ Electronics and Temp Sensing Issue

Well the mintemp is probably normal.  The printer won't extrude when the head is cold so it's probably cold.

If you go into the menu where you control the head and bed temperatures what temperatures does it display?  Is it readying room temperature?  (around 20C).

So far the only problem I see is that the printer head only moves one direction during homing.  It could be the limit switch is not reachable anymore.  

Some things to try:

Try pushing the head around and see if it hits all 4 XY homing switches.  Listen for the clicks.  

Try putting the head in the middle, put your finger on the home switch, start homing and push the switch twice quickly (and get your hand out of there).  If things are working it should stop moving towards that homing switch.

Take a video of the homing event so I can see what you mean by "moves only in one direction" (is it X?  is it Y?  Does it make the horrible sound?  Does it make any unusualy sounds?  Does it move too slow?  Is it erratic (belt slipping)?  A video will tell me a lot).

2 hours ago, noctis said:

manual readings are 43,8k for the Extruder and 117,5k Ohm for the custom heated bed.

If I check the temperature in Cura  it says 1100°C for the Bed and 0°CV for the head.

The MINTEMP error is normal is it reads 0°C or less on the nozzle.

UMO+ uses the same mainboard as the UM2 and this works with PT100 temperature sensors, is this right?

But the resistance would be somewhere between 100 and 200 Ohm in this case (not kOhm).

I guess you are using something different, but then it's not an UMO+... ?

2 hours ago, noctis said:

I assumed the Arduino has a problem, but I changed that already.

You said " modified UMO+ " - what does this mean? Which kind of mainboard is used and which type of sensors?

And which kind of firmware is installed on the (new?) board - is it modified too?

And does the configured sensor type match the actually used sensor type?

Well, maybe I have to explain the history:

UM released the UMO. Later, they changed the extruder to an "upgraded" version. Another months later, they added a heated bed and now called that UMO+. My machine is basically the same, as I upgraded the parts my own with the official characteristics but without the Ulticontroller.

Long story short, the pt100 sensor has 110 Ohm, after the amplifier board I read above value of ~48k. (in fact, the mainboards are different between UMO+(pcb v1.5.7) and UM2) The Heated bed sensor is also in normal measurements.

Only X is moving. Z is "blocked" by the stepper and Y has a cold stepper. So I assume an issue with the pcb (v1.5.7) or arduino.

All homing switches work.

Firmware is Marlin v1.0, which is shipped with Cura.