Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Gio26

Is this backslash?

Hello,
I can not improve the print on one side. 
With all the prints I've done, with various filaments (pva, abs, cpe+) and different settings of cura, I always find that the faces on the X axis have lines while on the Y axis I would say that goes much better.
I always thought it was a problem on the Y axis and so I checked the play and re-aligned the axes several times, but I could not get any improvement.

What could it be?

Attached one of the first prints I made with um3, the wall is very thin and with white you can see more clearly.

Thanks.

X:

X.thumb.JPG.1ca462f7b1c843fa8275e3295c549945.JPG

Y:

Y.thumb.JPG.0e7cb26f9de26eb806d6bfa908fe47fb.JPG

I see very similar results on some objects, not all and hardly depending on the shape of the object. First I also thought it is a backlash, but it wasn't. Then I tried a different slicer and also different printer and got everywhere the same result. So I guess there is something wrong with the source file. You can check it in layer view of Cura if you see something strange there, but I don't think you will see much there.

What helped was to print slower.

I don't see nothing wrong in cura and if I rotate the object I always get the same result.

I got same result with my object and also with a lot of thingiverse object.

I'm thinking that maybe it could be the head bearing on the Y axis... maybe.. I really don't know.

About speed, I print at these speeds:

Infill: 28

Wall:28

Outer Wall:19

Inner Wall: 28

Top/bottom:28

You think I'm too fast?

Acceleration and jerk as default.

Thanks.

If you are talking about sort of irregular ribs along the height, could it have to do with the Z-axis (dirt, play,...)? Or with the heat of the nozzle (and thus changes in viscosity)? Or related: with other currents influencing the temperature measurements (e.g. the high current of the build-plate heater causing a shift in ground level of the heat sensor, and thus tiny errors in measurment)? Or with the filament sliding smoother or less smooth while unwinding (thus less or more resistance, and flow)? Or something along this lines? This is guessing, but somewhat educated guessing.

The deformation on the bottom seems to be elephant feet, probably due to the heated buildplate and the first layers sagging a bit, or to the squeezing of the first layer onto the glass and spreading a bit. Or both.

Thanks geert.

I looked at the Z axis and cleaned it. It has a little play (about 2mm) of upward. I don't know if this can be a problem. 

You are right about the bottom. Was one of my first print.