Problems with grinding

m0gg3lit0

Posted · Problems with grinding

Hi everyone,

I have big problems with grinding. It starts immediately in the printout. It only happens when I use Cura and not when I print through the supplied SD card that came with the printer. Can I download profiles anywhere optimized for UM 2+ and Cura? I am using PLA. There should be one or more settings in Cura that makes this happen because it works really good with the SD card. I have tested different temperatures, speed settings, different original profiles in Cura, etc. But there's always grinding in Cura.

Hi and welcome!

Can you post a picture what you mean? And which Cura version are you using? 

You should not need "special" profiles, Cura works great out of the box with the UM 2+

What do you mean with, it works great from SD card? You mean when you print the pre-sliced files from that card?

Thank you!

I can post a picture of a grinded filament but I think you know how it looks like. When the grinded material gets half the plastic tube the feeder can't manage to feed the filament anymore due to friction.

Yes, the pre-sliced files works perfect, no grinding at all just some dots in the filament from the feeder. I notice that the pre-sliced files do retract the filament quite often but when I print with Cura there's no retraction. Could this be the problem?

I'm using Cura 3.6 and the printer is 3 days old :)

No, I need no picture of the grinded filament, but was not so clear from your first post, that you mean the filament.

When you slice your own object, do you use just a default profile or do you change something in the settings? 

Grinding is normally something like a clogged nozzle or feeder problem, but when you say the presliced files are fine, then it should be something on the software side.

My bad.

I've used Normal, Fine and Extra fine profiles and all are grinding when I slice my own models (Without any changes in the profiles).

Maybe I should try another software and see what happens?

You could try to delete the printer from Cura and add it again. 

And/or check if the material diameter is correct, should be 2.85 and not 1.75.

Did not help to delete and add the printer again and the material diameter is set to 2.85.

I think the feeder is feeding too fast, can I compensate this with the "Flow rate compensation" or the "Retraction" settings?

20 hours ago, m0gg3lit0 said:

Hi everyone,

I have big problems with grinding. It starts immediately in the printout. It only happens when I use Cura and not when I print through the supplied SD card that came with the printer. Can I download profiles anywhere optimized for UM 2+ and Cura? I am using PLA. There should be one or more settings in Cura that makes this happen because it works really good with the SD card. I have tested different temperatures, speed settings, different original profiles in Cura, etc. But there's always grinding in Cura.

You say it only happens when using Cura, but not when using the SD-card?

- Does this mean that the problem is only when printing via USB, from within Cura?

- Or does it also occur when you save that gcode file from Cura to hard disk, and then copy it to SD-card?

- Is there a difference between saving to hard disk first, and then copying to SD-card, or saving directly to SD-card?

- Or do you use a totally different slicer (instead of Cura) when using the SD-card?

Could be that printing via USB makes a difference, for whatever reason?

Yes it happens when I print via USB. Haven't tried to save my own files to the SD-card. I will give it a try!