Quality of included PLA with Ultimaker

aaron

Posted · Quality of included PLA with Ultimaker

I haven't tried too many filament colors and brands but printbl white is definitely a very strange material. It's definitely pla. But it's stickier. Like Lecitin. Like caramel maybe.

Yeah, I've got printbl White in two machines now and it is definitely a little weird. I really like the results though - pure white prints look incredibly clean - and that more or less makes up for the tiny hit in print quality I get with the white. I agree that it never gets quite as liquid as the other printbl filaments I've tried.

Anyway, I've been using the newer rolls of Ultimaker silver more over the past few days and I now hate it less. Like the printbl white, it just doesn't seem to get quite as flow-y as more ideal filaments, and so it needs to be printed a little slower (50-60mm/s) than I would normally print. At those speeds and low temps (195-205°) I can get pretty awesome results. Upping temps and raising the speed just doesn't seem to allow the print quality to scale with this filament though. I do appreciate the increased "sparkliness" of this newer filament though, because that surface texture does a lot to conceal build lines.

My favorite filament so far is the printbl lime green. We've now gone through 9 of the 22 colors offered by printbl, and the lime green has the nicest output quality regardless of print speed or temp, and a great low-gloss finish that makes prints look even smoother.

A request to all going to the Maker Faire: Could you bring along a white UM robot (the standard one with support on the fingers) that you can print with the best quality settings you have? I have recently gotten a sample printed with another brand printer and it is of a quality that I have not been able to get on my Ultimaker. I would love to do a comparison on what is possible. Thanks!

I'll bring a few.

Nick - if you are going to MakerFaire can you bring maybe 5 meters of printbl green that you like? I'll bring the printbl purple that I love and we can trade some samples to try out.

Ahhh I wish. I've been out of the green for a while. So has Jordan @ Printbl, unfortunately.

The purple is definitely awesome... I have some in my machine right now and am getting prints so perfect that I can see the moire pattern of the stepping resolution x the 0.06mm layer height.

Im currently trying this brand called Reprapper. Good color and quality for a reasonable price. The color I am using now has a bronze and glossy appearance. No complaints yet.