Weird first layer

pgrunwald

Posted · Weird first layer

I'm trying to print this model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2684465

I'm using Cura  3.6 and the profile is attached.  

I'm getting an extra layer that covers about 1/2 the base.  I opened the STL in Meshmixer but I don't see anything wrong with the model. 

How can I fix this?

cura petg profile.curaprofile

cura layer.jpg

If you don't mind making the part slightly smaller you can fix this by lowering the part slightly.  Go to menu "settings", "configure cura", and uncheck "Automatically drop models...".  Then click on the part, use the move tool and change Z position from 0 to -0.3 or so.  You can play around with how far to lower the part under the bed.  This should make the bottom more flat.  I use this feature all the time.

It was pointed out on Thingaverse that the model is not sitting flat as imported. I had tried "reset model position" and "reset all model transformations" but I was not aware of the "Auto Orientation" - that extension fixed the problem. 

I think with auto orientation, the object rotates to a "good" position for printing. But as gr5 said, moving your object slightly below the bed, helps a lot with objects which are not flat at the bottom.

Don't work if the bottom is not flat, so you have to lower the object in the bed to get a flat bottom.

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Don't work if the bottom is not flat, so you have to lower the object in the bed to get a flat bottom.

Agreed, but clicking 'lay flat' on this particular object flips it onto the other face, which allows you to print it ok.