Fan Control Extremely Limited

T_om

Posted · Fan Control Extremely Limited

Per layer fan control is driving me nuts.  I am using the latest Cura release, 3.6.0, and there is no simple way to turn the fan on and off on a layer by layer basis, at least none that I can find.  This is very simple in Simplify 3D and I must be missing something in Cura to have not found it.

For an example, I print almost exclusively in PETG, a pretty stringy filament.  It 'normally' prints best for me with no fan at all.  However, in places in any model that needs bridging, it needs the fan on 100% for those few bridging layers to firm them up quickly, then I want to turn the fan off again until the nest bridging layers are reached.

I guess I am looking for a way to say "turn the fan on at layer 32 and off at layer 40 then turn it back on at layer 80 and off at layer 90", etc.  Is there an easy way to do this?

Tom

This is not possible in Cura as in S3D. You cannot specify the layer to switch on/off the fans.

But, there is an experimental setting in Cura "Bridge Settings" where you can define a lot of settings for bridging and also the fan speed. So you could switch off fans completely and set it higher for bridging.

Thanks, I'll take a look there.  I am surely not the first or only one that needs this feature.  It would be a nice addition and I can't believe it would be that hard to code.

Tom

UM, just looked under "Experimental" and nothing about bridging is there.  I'll keep looking but I saw no bridging controls anywhere and I am in Expert mode.

Tom

Apart from the fan control for bridges as mentioned above, it's also possible to override the fan for skin layers that are above support. This is good for PETG as you can crank the fan up to 100% when printing a skin above support and this makes it easier to separate the support from the skin.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I think it was already there with 3.6, but I cannot check it, because I am using currently 4.0 beta.

1033111331_Bildschirmfoto2018-12-26um22_04_57.thumb.png.e76a2728700b3a20ff35cbfa339e24b8.png

None of the bridging selections you show are available 3.6

I take it the screenshot is from 4.0?

Tom

I can assure you that those bridging settings have been in Cura for at least a few versions (arrived with 3.3, perhaps?)

Forget "expert" mode, do "show all settings".

Or just enter "bridge" in the search field above.

I figured "Expert" mode would show everything.  Surprise... it doesn't.  Cura sure has odd terminology.

But thanks, the bridging stuff is, indeed, there.

Tom

7 hours ago, T_om said:

I figured "Expert" mode would show everything.  Surprise... it doesn't.  Cura sure has odd terminology.

LOL, you would need "guru mode" to see everything!