Cura won't open

Bart40

Posted (edited) · Cura won't open

Recently installed Cura on my computer and it worked fine for about two days, then the program crashed a 2-3 times then wouldn't reopen after that. The last thing I did on Cura was adding in 2 additional printer setting/profiles. To attempt to resolve the issue on my own I tried to run the program as a administrator and also tried to uninstall the program and then reinstalling the program, I tried to also restart my PC and that did not help, none of these had an impact on the problem.

When I try to open Cura it shows up the animation of the program opening up and loading all of the assets for Cura, but once it goes into the larger window where the actual slicer settings and the model viewer would be, it doesn't respond

I'm Windows 10 Education, Version 1803, Build # 17134.472, Running Cura 3.6

Any information on what may cause this problem or what I could do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bart

Edit: Forgot to mention that when I open Cura and it is not responding. Prior to or after I do not receive any error messages/codes

Edited by Bart40
Adding in a missing detail I forgot to mention in OP

Posted · Cura won't open

Reporting a problem is not spam. I recently had the issue, but it was Win 10 and their forced updates that created an issue with my graphics driver.

Since this is a known issue (Win 10 screwing up graphics drivers), I did not report it (Not a Cura issue) but thought I would add a possible solution as well.

Hello,

The only solution/conclusion I've come to is to keep upgrading to newer versions of Cura - which I'm not going to do (as I don't like the direction of beta 4 at present).  I've also noticed bugs in 3.5.1 where if you set a value in some fields and then "revert" using the little icons on the left of those values - it then writes the original formulas in the config files when they used to be not present at all.

Cura 3.5.1 does not read those formulas back correctly in all cases and crashes without writing which value/file has the problem in the log (I tested one setting on both versions of 3.5.1 and 4.0 where only 4.0 worked correctly and read the formula correctly).  If it crashes, what I do is check the settings files in the config folders and remove the ones that look like formulas (which - as I don't ever set formulas - are the default ones which are not really required to be there in the config files).  That has solved every random crash on start-up for me, except the one on my Intel chipset laptop that doesn't support the graphics level required by Cura.  That's a lost cause, I feel.

Edited by Guest
    remove word "the"

Posted · Cura won't open

My question would be why you have not upgraded to 3.6 which has a lot of bugs solved. This may be one of them?

Posted · Cura won't open

A few reasons.  First being I didn't notice this problem until 4 came out (so I skipped 3.6).  2nd being, I notice 3.6 has a few reported extra issues, and ones I don't want to deal with.  And lastly, I'm on limited bandwidth.  Sad, to be sure.

All makes sense 👍

Edit: I do like 4 beta though......

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · Cura won't open

Yeah, once I worked out all the differences in the interface, it was ok - except for the other things I've already mentioned in the pinned post.

Posted · Cura won't open

Tried to update to 4.0 Beta like stated and it still is not responding on launch. 

Posted · Cura won't open

@Bart40 : You might get more help from the moderators if you post the messages from the cura.log file that look like errors, or at least the last 10-20 lines so they can guess where the problem is.  It's also unclear if it's 4.0 or 3.6 that's still not working, I would be surprised if 4.0 is now not starting for you, but that's how your last message reads. 

@kmanstudios : You're right, the bug I described was fixed the same day 3.5.1 came out (but wasn't part of the release).  I see the file for settings inheritance management getting an update and bypassing a null reference - and since the compiled .pyc file from 4.0 beta hadn't been changed since that single-file Git update, I was able to copy it into my 3.5.1 python35.zip which has completely solved my issue.  It doesn't help the problem in this thread though.  I also can't explain why the python35.zip has 3 files with the same name (but different cases) to make Cura work, well, I can explain it but it's just poor form.  Had to do some hex-editing on some file-duplicates in the new .zip file which I called configparse2.pyc, queu2.pyc and ckdtre2.pyc - replacing the "2" with the correct letter ending.  I've also noticed today (after my support structure was knocked off my print) that the z-hop doesn't hop on retractions when comb is on (and yes, even comb being on still has many retractions - but it's very rare to see the hops in the g-code in this configuration).  Since I already had calculated the retractions in my extra prime plugin script - I added my own configurable z-hop there and it's working properly now.  I should check 4.0 beta, but I think I'm all good now to stay at 3.5.1.  Maybe a moderator is more interested in checking it out though?  I'm not inclined to release another version of that script for some bizarre problem like this.

Posted · Cura won't open

@Jason9 It is both Cura 3.6 and 4.0 that does this.  Do you know where I can find the log file location? I was not able to find it under program files.  Also what would be the process of talking to or getting a hold of a moderator?

Posted · Cura won't open

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3260750/files

I'm so incredibly happy with my print-with-support (that didn't get knocked off due to the cura 3.5.1 Z-Hop not working..) that I've updated my thingiverse archive with a version with this feature.

@Bart40 : On windows, your log is in C:\Users\YOURUSERID\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.6\cura.log .  I'm unsure where it would be on other Operating-Systems.  Moderators will usually read your posts, if there's enough information to reply to.  Sorry that I don't have answers for you, and that I had half written this post when I noticed your question - but my 7hour:17min print just finished and I was excited that it worked after so many attempts and fails previously.

print.jpg

Posted · Cura won't open

It all good, I just appreciate the help. also that looks really nice would you be able to send me a link to the model?

So I was able to find the log file and it appears that Cura is either missing files or unable to read existing files in the directory.

Time codes where Cura fails to load. 12/29/18 14:13 and 12/29/18 05:26.  Thank you guys for all for the help!

cura.log

Posted · Cura won't open

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2055501

One of the things I don't like about Cura, is it automatically connects to COM ports to find your printer(s).  I have not found a way to disable that (yet) but I see your machine was last attempting to connect to your printer in the first hang.  If you don't print via USB then you don't need your printer connected, so try disconnecting it and retry.  Also, if your PC has COM ports for other devices which are not 3D printers, then try disabling them (in the Windows Control Panel, you can temporarily disable devices) and try again.  It looks like you have a COM3 port from looking at the log.

I don't like the Cura auto connect because I often modify my firmware, but I have to close Cura to free the printer's COM port.  Then I have to reload Cura and the test print all over again to test the new firmware.

If it still hangs after doing that, it looks like the next thing that runs from looking at my log is "MachineErrorChecker" which tests out your Cura config files.  They might be corrupt - but I'm not sure how you were able to get into that state (though Cura 4 does copy across settings from earlier versions - so installing the beta might not fix things for you in this case).

I just tried temporarily renaming my C:\Users\YOURUSERID\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.5 directory (so Cura can't find it) and it upon restarting it Cura re-created a new profile and asked me to set up a new printer.  Of course my config isn't corrupt so I deleted that new one and renamed my original folder back to 3.5 and it's back to normal for me...  But at least you know you can start over again by doing this.

I'm sure the moderators would be interested in knowing exactly what it is you're doing when the thing breaks.  If you can work it out.

EDIT: You might want to attach a .zip file of your config folders for them to look over?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura won't open

@jason9, I needed to print something out so I just did the temporary fix for now but I expect that it will hang/crash again later tonight so I will try this. Most recent explanation makes sense though. When I first discovered the problem I had uninstalled Cura while keeping my config settings and when I reinstalled it still wouldn't work. So I uninstalled and removed all the config settings and that fixed it temporary.  I will post a state of my config file again as soon as it hangs/crashes again, Aswell as a screenshot of the window as its crashing and after when I try to re-open it.

Right before the program crashes usually I'm clicking on something in the program, I think the thing I remember clicking on was profile settings and the window was glitched like it popped up but didn't render the window. Then shortly after the program stopped responding.

Posted · Cura won't open

@jason9 Alright Cura finally crashed again and I've just gotten a fresh log file showing the last thing that happened and what went wrong with it.  The last thing I was about to do was add a few settings to be visible, I clicked on the cog wheel under one of the categories (Infill, Support, Material, Cooling,etc) and when the trying to load the settings to allow me to change the visibility of what settings I can control and tweak it crashed. The crash happened about 02:10 on 12/31/18, You can see at 02:14 where I reopen the program to confirm that it is bugged again.  Like you said I tried to rename my config and launch it again and I'm still crashing before it can even load. I added that log file as well just for comparison and to see if it is something that is getting caught up on. That file name is called "cura 1st clean load attempt".

cura.log

cura 1st clean load attempt.log

Posted · Cura won't open

Looking for " - ERROR - " in your logs, you have had problems with your config since 12/30/18 - 20:28:33 but I don't see anything like those problems in my logs.  My suggestion to ZIP up your entire 3.6 config folder and attach it here is probably a waste of time too if you already tried to restart fresh by renaming the folder like I suggested, though it might help the Cura people, but I now suspect that's not the real problem.

I do see this in your log, but it might be a red herring:

2018-12-31 02:18:06,865 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [352]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.6/resources/qml/SidebarHeader.qml:551:9: QML QQuickItem: Binding loop detected for property "width"

When I look in my Cura installation folder, files have been updated there.  This is not good practice for Windows software, we are not meant to use the Program Files folder for mutable files, any files that change should be in the AppData folder.  You generally need admin rights to modify files in Program Files, so I'm disappointed to see this happening in Cura.  It may or may not be the source of your troubles though, they look like compiler output and Google suggests they are part of Qt used for the display and I see some Cura people say these warnings are not a problem.

It does sound like that's what you were changing at the time though.  Sidebar - header?

Also, I see this thread in this forum - and the problem doesn't appear to have been solved:

Which is pretty much the same point your are getting to (but there is exactly one line more in your log, but that was from over a year ago in a much lower version of Cura).

@nallath : Was there anything discovered as to why Cura stops logging at this point?  I see the other OS in that thread was Linux, but this seems to be happening in Windows 10.

Posted · Cura won't open

@jason9  Yes you are correct with me clicking on the sidebar header right before it crashed.  This is disappointing to hear that their is no solution that is known other than reinstalling it ever 1-2 days after it keeps messing up and crashing. Its kinda crazy to thing about how this problem has also been known within the community for a year now and there is no fix to this.  For the mean time I will just continue to uninstall and reinstall to retain functionality of Cura.  Thank you @jason9, for all the help you have given me to narrow down all of the possible problems. Like you had said I will also put a zip file of my folder for Cura whenever it crashes,  Hopefully doing so will be helpful for other people to fix their Cura or even helping the developers patch this problem.

Thank you everyone for the help!

cura old.zip

Posted · Cura won't open

Maybe it wasn't a waste of time to attach that .zip archive.  I had a look, ran it through my Cura 3.5.1, but mine still loaded.  It did say there were corruptions in many of the files, and asked if I wanted to clear the profiles and start from scratch.  I didn't and it then seems to all work as you would expect, I could see all the settings for your main Ender 3 profile.

Looking closer though, I notice you have a 3.0 directory.  This one contains files with names that seemed to have problems in 3.6 and I suspect that when you install 3.6, it reads the old profile and imports them to the new version you are installing.  Next time you install Cura 3.6 - delete that 3.0 folder first or move it elsewhere, like to your desktop, if you want to keep it - once 3.6 is installed, I guess you can move it back.  Other than this, I'm out of ideas!

Posted · Cura won't open

I noticed that 3.0 folder as well which is every weird considering I just got my printer a week or so ago and just installed Cura. I don't have any idea on why its installing old files.  When I renamed that Cura folder to Cura old and reinstalled Cura it did not install any other version other than 3.6. I might be the profile I'm using that could also be doing that, I was given a profile off of Reddit to help me out with a couple of issues I've had and maybe original creator of the profile had been running it on 3.0.

I think its just the coding of the program that is either not stable on different types of PC's with different specs to them or has a bug in the code that corrupts some of the files after it crashes/doesn't respond.  I'm no software engineer so I'm speaking with no real lack of knowledge of coding, but from a user stand point this is what it looks like to me.

I really love Cura and how simple and friendly the UI is for beginners to pick up compared to some other slicers but, at this point I'd rather have functionality in a slicer. I really would not want to go away from Cura, But if it will not work as intended then I may start looking into other slicers and seeing if the problem continues to happen on other software. In the meantime, I will continue to use Cura but will start to look at other software if this problem does not get fix/ if it persists with the version 4.0 full release.

@jason9 Thank you again for all of your help with trying to troubleshoot what could be causing this issue.  If you come up with anymore ideas to fix it then I'd be happy to know them.

Posted · Cura won't open

I have the same problem (Also an Ender 3 user). Any menu or drop down that I select will crash the program.

Posted · Cura won't open

@nickhull Some tips is just go through this post and the comments,  First thoughts would to try to reboot pc, check for updates for your graphics card drivers, if that doesn't solve it then try to uninstall Cura and then reinstall it (make sure you REMOVE all your config files when it prompts) This will delete your settings and require you to reinstall and readjust your settings but this allowed me to get it to temporarily work for a day or two. Export your profile after reinstalling so you don't have to keep remaking it.

Those are some of the things off the top of my head to do and check for. Let me know if that helps.

Posted · Cura won't open

This may be irrelevant but the way i got cura 4.0 to work correctly was to run the compatibility mode and run as windows 8