Real ideas for Ultimaker forum site

ian

Posted · Real ideas for Ultimaker forum site

Hi guys here are a few ideas rolling in my head for the forum.

(1) dump the boring top graphic banner as soon as possible. something bright and fun.

(2) setup a section for raw materials and suppliers.

(3) increase anti spambot measures, they really are starting to eat the forum before it starts.

(4) setup a nice little pub section where people can relay and introduce themselves.

(5) setup a section, Talking to Ultimaker Crew. Where you guys have some photos of yourselves and a little more information.

even more links to some cool youtube videos you guys have, i searched google and found some really cool ones.

also users can interact with you guys directly, that will really mak your corporate ID stronger !

(6) section just for new users, ie... me let the started asking the silly questions

(7) allow avatars for users. I wanted to put up a nice irish flag but cant find the option ?

that is my first few ideas.

best wishes guys.

Ian (irsh man in leipzig germany) :D

Hi guys here are a few ideas rolling in my head for the forum.

(1) dump the boring top graphic banner as soon as possible. something bright and fun.

(2) setup a section for raw materials and suppliers.

(3) increase anti spambot measures, they really are starting to eat the forum before it starts.

(4) setup a nice little pub section where people can relay and introduce themselves.

(5) setup a section, Talking to Ultimaker Crew. Where you guys have some photos of yourselves and a little more information.

even more links to some cool youtube videos you guys have, i searched google and found some really cool ones.

also users can interact with you guys directly, that will really mak your corporate ID stronger !

(6) section just for new users, ie... me let the started asking the silly questions

(7) allow avatars for users. I wanted to put up a nice irish flag but cant find the option ?

that is my first few ideas.

best wishes guys.

Ian (irsh man in leipzig germany) :D

Good questions. Will ask them the next time I get to see them.

thanks hope they get the message.

having a forum is nice BUT !! when people realise the ULTI guys are never here and just dont care when a million russian spam bots blast the forum into a million pieces, then it will be a really pity for a possible great start.

Ian :D

For me, this forum is a step backwards in usability compared to the Google one because it doesn't support an associated mailing list. I participate in quite a few technical forums and find it much more convenient to monitor a mailing list via mobile phone or laptop when I am travelling. I often don't have the time (or screen real-estate) to log onto a web forum just to check what has been going on, especially when this means trying to recall which messages you have already read.

Agreed - that's why google group is still alive. But I think in the long run forum is better solution for topic organization and readibility.

The best of both world would be if forum subscription feature send full post text instaed of just post notifications. A simple forum plugin can do the trick.

You can also subscribe to the forum rss feeds.

There are 2, the new topics only, or all posts.

You can also subscribe to the forum rss feeds.

There are 2, the new topics only, or all posts.

I agree, emailing forum content instead of subscribing to its RSS is soooooo last century... :-)

Where can I find RSS links, can you share them? I'm using the Active Topics link, which works fine, but RSS would be very usefull as well.

Where can I find RSS links, can you share them? I'm using the Active Topics link, which works fine, but RSS would be very usefull as well.

Most aggregators are able to pick up the rss links from the page's metadata if you give it the site/page's url.

All posts:

feed.php"

New topics only:

feed.php?mode=topics

There are also feeds for each section of the forum and also thread (look in the page source the relevant urls).