Feature Request -- On Nozzle change offer extrusion test.

PaulK

Posted · Feature Request -- On Nozzle change offer extrusion test.

When you change/load filament, the printer does an extrusion test to allow you to make sure things are extruding. This is really great on a colour change as you can clear the nozzle of the previous colour/material.

When you do a nozzle change, it does not offer this. The new nozzle likely has some left-over filament, and if your next print doesn't have a brim/skirt there is serious concern that you will get some colour/material contamination from whatever was in the nozzle previously. I do use a prime blob when not using a brim/skirt, but don't have the confidence that it will fully clear the nozzle. It would be really nice if the same extrusion test was at least offered on a nozzle change/load.

When I do a nozzle change there is a feature on my printers that allows me to extrude a bit before resuming printing.  Maybe you have the same thing?  Which printer?

S5. Am I missing something? I seen no option. It is ... open fan bracket, pop core, insert core, close fan bracket, done

So on the S5 there is a lever on the feeder.  I just raise the lever, slide out the old filament, slide in the new, then push pretty hard until the color changes then back off 1cm and lower the lever.  You are now good to go.

That's how I always change filament even between prints.  I don't have a good reason for doing it that way.  I just like doing it myself.

Ah, but during a core change the core won't be heated (by default) to extrusion temp, so I won't be able to extrude. 

Remember: This is changing cores, not filament. Filament changes work like a charm. Core changes result in old filament being extruded on the next print unless you go heat the nozzle and force some extrusion (possibly manually)

Just select the cordon the menu and then move material.. until its cleared? Im not sure what the issue it. when you select move material, it automatically heats up the nozzle to the selected PLA or whatever. if it doesn't the just select change material and do it unless I'm wrong. I am running old firmware mid you, but i doubt they would have changed that?

Of course there is a dozen ways one could make material go through; I bought an ultimaker in large part to streamline the process and click a lot less buttons (and to avoid less mistakes in process). I think it would be very common to want to clear a core on core change (especially if you are not doing a filament change) and am requesting it be built into the core change process. 

I am probably misleading people by putting "nozzle" in the title and description, I mean core.

Yes sure i understand, but its just two clicks. If you change your nozzle (i.e.) dont bother doing it in the menu, then you just select the material and select move.

But fair enough. You want it to automatically feed some material through with a 'purge old material' selection or something in the menu. Makes sense. 

I want a print using previous auto leveling results as well to kick of jobs quick. But i guess ill make a new thread for that. Lol

1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

But fair enough. You want it to automatically feed some material through with a 'purge old material' selection or something in the menu. Makes sense. 

No, I want it part of the core change/load process, just like it is with a filament change/load. I don't want to have to remember to do a second step or train someone else to do a second step.

Fair enough ill admit that makes sense. Im just doing my first proper two colour print and when i put in the other AA I came across that issue as i just clicked print and realised i had not primed the nozzle. 

So in my opinion the procedure should go...

1 remove nozzle....then the printer either heats up the current nozzle to wind back the filament or you just whip out the nozzle and it knows you did this so it doesnt bother winding it back. (Yoy could even have the option to skip the filament removal!)

2 click ok when the new nozzle is in. 

3 then either click to prime or skip for manual prime

Thats what i would do, i wouldnt automatically prime the nozzle with new filament however as i often change my mind and using the lever is far quicker. 

You think you want everything automated but it gets boring and frustrating real fast. 

In my honest opinion i just whip the old nozzle out and slap in a new one. I dont even think it needs a removal procedure! But seeing as there is one then an automatic filament load after the change is a perfectly reasnoble thing to do. I guess if you dont want to then you simply dont load on any filament!

Still i would like a print with last used bed leveling option.