Wich filament to choose ?

Nueiba

Posted · Wich filament to choose ?

I want to obtain a very resistant part. (Impact resistant and abrasion resistant).

I read about PEHD, HIPS, PC and Nilon, I wonder if one of those would do well with a Creality printer.

I also want to spend no more than 50$ Can per Kg.

Do you have any recommendations ? Thank you. 

abrasion resistant?  Often that just means slippery.  Can you provide more details?

These are typically opposite requirements.  You want it to be a bit flexible to be impact resistance.  Because flexibility means you can spread the load around.  If you go extreme (like rubber band) then you can drive a car over it or smash it with a sledge.  But even just a little more flexible means more impact resistance.

But abrasion resistant you usually want it as hard as possible which will also make it brittle.  Typically.  I mean diamond and ruby are very hard and very good impact resistance.  But there aren't any 3d printing filaments like that, lol.

Please explain how you would use the part or what it is exactly.  Is it like a gear?  What is it that you want to make?

Thanks you for your input gr5 // I understand the idea about stiffness versus flexibility. The part I want to make goes at the tip of a stick. I want to design a outdoor hockey blade. I wonder if any of the filament could be strong enough. 

I would go with a nylon.  I'd pick the least flexible nylon you can find.  Ultimaker brand nylon is good.  Look at the "young's modulus" aka "tensile modulus" aka "flexural modulus" (same thing but measured differently).  Every filament has a spec sheet so google the brand and the word "modulus" and you can usually find a pdf.  I have a graph showing modulus and strength of many materials.  Going to the right is stiffer and going up is stronger.  All the nylons are flexible enough.  PLA and ABS are too stiff and too brittle for a hockey stick.  I would start with taulman 910 or ultimaker nylon.  Here's my graph - you can click and drag to zoom in:

http://gr5.org/mat/

In my graph heading to the right is stiffer (it's a log scale).  Heading upwards is stronger (less critical for a hockey stick).

A note about printing higher temp materials like nylon.

If you get bad layer adhesion you won't know it until it breaks and it will break along layer lines.  Nylon should NEVER BREAK ALONG LAYER LINES.  If it does then you printed it wrong.  You need to lower the fan a lot.  And you need to completely enclose (or mostly enclose a few hand sized holes are fine) the printer to get the air up to 35 to 40C.  And lower the fan to 1/3 to 1/10th normal speed.  This will help with curling corners but more importantly will help each new layer adhere (melt to) the layer below.

Choose the proper type of filament. There are several types that can be found on the market. The best-known and most common are: ABS, PLA, and PVA

Thank you sonali31