PEI buildplate for UMS5

Posted · PEI buildplate for UMS5

Hi All,

The best add-on I ever bought for my UM2+ was a PEI-coated aluminum buildplate with a thickness of 5mm [1]. This buildplate completely replaces the original glass buildplate. As I mainly work with PLA, this buildplate just solved almost all my issues with warping or lose parts. On top, it gives me a quite equally locking finish on all sides of the printed parts.

Now, I got my hands on an UMS5. After the original aluminum buildplate was canceled, I was wondering if I could just get the same PEI-coated aluminum buildplate for the S5. There is no UMS5 option in the drop-down menu on the website but it is possible to provide custom dimensions. So basically, I would just need the exact dimensions of the buildplate and the locations of the screw holes.

Question A: Does anyone have these dimensions at hand?

Besides the missing dimensions, I am also not sure if this would work out that easily with the UMS5. There must be a reason why the original aluminum buildplate was canceled. Also, the automated bed leveling could be an issue. The buildplate would be bigger than the one for the UM2+, so there might be some significant deformation due to the thermal conditions.

Question B: What problems could be raised from replacing the original glass build plate?

Another option could be PEI sheets but I don't have any experience with these so far...

[1] https://clever3d.de/epages/7a4290fc-7c7f-46cc-9b99-eadef22228e2.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7a4290fc-7c7f-46cc-9b99-eadef22228e2/Products/c3d-DDP-PEI-natur/SubProducts/c3d-DDP-PEI-natur-0015

Hi

I can measure the glass when I am at home, but I found these dimensions of a spare glass for the S5 (35.7cm x 27.8cm)

Auto bed leveling could be a problem, it works by measuring the capacity between the aluminum panel and the unit in the print head. Putting another aluminum plate between will not work, I assume. And you cannot turn off the auto leveling on the S5 to use just a manual calibration.

Another issue you should consider is, that the bed leveling is done with hot nozzles, and the nozzle hits the glass during leveling. So I am not sure if your PEI sheet will melt at this point.

But if you mainly print PLA, why that effort? PLA prints fine on the glass without any issues and any other material too if you apply some glue or spray. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I just love the fact that the PEI bulidplate doesn't need any additional ingredient like glue. Also, I don't like the glossy finish of the side that is attached to the glass buildplate.

Anyway, the operation principle of the bed leveling seems to be a show-stopper here.

I do not have answers to your questions. Just +1 to how awesome these plates are for PLA. No warping, no messing with glue. I use them on my two UM2+ exclusively.