anzo

Cura slice error

Posted (edited) · Cura slice error

Hi, just wanting to know what would cause this slice to happen by cura 3.6 and how to fix it. It seems cura is adding a random slice of 6 layers in the chest section of my model and filling the gap with support material. The model is completely solid and it also doesn't seem to effect the arms of the model. I have attached the images of the model in layer view showing the error, full 3d model and also x-ray view to see if there are any errors.

Thanks

part1.png

part2.png

part3.png

part4.png

Edited by anzo

Posted · Cura slice error

All those red spots in xray view are problems.  It means there is an extra infinitely thin plane or a hole.  The way cura creates these colors is that it sends a line from your "eye" through the model and out the other side and counts how many triangles it passes through in the STL.  If it's even it gets a shade of blue or light blue or white.  If it's odd it colors it red or brown.

So each red circle represents either a hole or extra infinitely thin wall (one can't make infinitely thin walls in real life) and they confuse cura as to what is "inside" and what is "outside" so it often prints nothing.  You can zoom in on those spots in cura and then look at the same spots in cad and find the issues.

Or you can just submit it to an STL repair service.

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free acocunt first):
https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Did you create this model?  If so did you use sketchup?  If so here is a great guide:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

Posted · Cura slice error

Awesome thanks for your help. I'm fairly new to using cura and did not know about the red shades causing errors. I just assumed  it was similar to what it shows in solid view and where it needs support material. Sadly I did not create this model. Ill be looking up ways in which i can fix this model to make it print properly. I definitely appreciate the resources you've linked