Top infill not overlapping skin

jrjones

Posted (edited) · Top infill not overlapping skin

Switching from KISSlicer and Slic3r to Cura, mostly because I find the combination of gyroid infill and (auto) adaptive layer heights usefull.

I'm having trouble getting the top infill to bond correctly to the skin. I don't really have this issue with KISSlicer or Slic3r.

I've tried adjusting the "Infil Overlap Percentage" and "Skin Overlap Percentage" but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Printer is a Rostock V2, with a 0.5 mm nozzle

Any suggestions?

I've attached my settings.

20190219_134108.jpg

20190219_134048.jpg

Settings.curaprofile

Edited by jrjones

Posted · Top infill not overlapping skin

Hello @jrjones, looking at your pictures, the skin looks slightly under-extruded so I wonder whether your extruder calibration is correct and that the filament diameter is constant (and correct). If those things are correct, have you tried printing the skin a little slower?

I checked the filament diameter (was set to 1.75mm, i adjusted it to my measured diameter of 1.72mm), and tried another print, but it didn't make much of a difference. Unless there is another location to change the diameter? I'm changing it under Preferences->Materials->Properties->Diameter.

I also slowed the skin from 27.5 mm/s to 15 mm/s, and there isn't much difference either. I can print these items with Kisslicer at the same print speeds, and I don't have the same issue.

20190220_170708.jpg

Here is the project file for the above image:

Shrinkwrap Spool holder.3mf

Edited by jrjones

In your profile, the top surface skin speed is still 27.5 but the top/bottom speed is 15. Did you actually try the slower speed for the top layer?

Screenshot_2019-02-21_08-07-31.png.c0adf389e27e67eb444e6100cfc07fb5.png

Could you please attach the gcode created by the other slicer that prints OK, I would like to see what the difference is. Thanks.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, smartavionics said:

In your profile, the top surface skin speed is still 27.5 but the top/bottom speed is 15. Did you actually try the slower speed for the top layer?

Oops, I saw the top/bottom speed and forgot to change the top surface skin speed.

This is with the top surface skin speed changed to 15 as well.

I've attached the gcode produced by Kisslicer.

20190221_113524.thumb.jpg.0d8d379b2d68401b335b3f94f087283d.jpg

On 2/20/2019 at 7:24 PM, gr5 said:

How many top layers do you have?  I usually like 6 layers.  It looks like you might only have 2 top layers.

I have 3 top layers and 1 top surface skin layers. 

Shrinkwrap Spool holder(Kisslicer).gcode

Edited by jrjones

48 minutes ago, jrjones said:

This is with the top surface skin speed changed to 15 as well.

Your picture didn't show up.

Looking at the Kisslicer gcode, a big difference is that it generates a few layers of denser infill above the honeycomb which will support the skins better. By contrast, the Cura project you provided is using very low density gyroid infill which doesn't provide any support around a lot of the edges of the skin.

Here's a suggestion for you to try, set the Extra Skin Wall Count to 0 and the Extra Infill Wall Count to 1. This will ensure that the skin lines will have something below them when they reach the walls and they may be able to grip that sufficiently to stop shrinking back which is what is happening.

Screenshot_2019-02-22_20-56-15.png

Or change the top layers from 3 to 6.  It takes a few layers to recover over a very low density infill and 3 layers wasn't enough.