TP491016

solids or surfaces of revolution

Posted · solids or surfaces of revolution

Is they any free software that will allow me to create 3d-printable objects of revolution?

I want to start with a curved line or arbitrary plane figure and rotate it about an axis

to generate either a shell or a solid.

Any 3D-CAD program should offer such a function (although the naming may vary).

It depends on your definition of "free software"...

"OpenSCAD" and "FreeCAD" are free to use for anyone (AFAIK), "TinkerCAD", "Fusion360" and "Designspark Mechanical" want a registration, but are free of charge for private users.

Just use whatever you prefer...

Yes, Tinkercad is about my level of sophistication -- I know how to use that pretty well.  I would swoon if I could figure out a way to "revolve" my creations.  Alas, I can not see how.  I am hoping someone can point me to a specific piece of software that will do this in a simple fashion.  I thought things like Fusion360 were too complex for my simple needs, but I will look into that.

I'm surprised tinkercad doesn't do this.  DSM (design spark mechanical) is probably what I would use if I have to draw the "curve" myself in CAD first.  If the curve is already in an STL then I would use OpenSCAD but most people don't like OpenSCAD as it's more of a programming language than your typical CAD software.

Basically every CAD package out there does this.  Just google the cad package and "revolve" in youtube to see how easy it is to do.

a search for "tinkercad revolve" shows several results, that's why i thought it is possible

Blender is free and does it easily. It's called 'Spin' in Blender if I'm not mistaken.