Print Only 1 Layer

WylieK

Posted · Print Only 1 Layer

I'm trying to print a single snaking line on an ultimaker 3 extended, and print that line with no traveling and only 1 layer. How can I tell Cura to do that? The line is 0.4 mm thick and 0.1 mm tall when I model it on Fusion360, and when I set my layer height/initial layer height to exactly 0.1 mm and my line widths to 0.35 mm (given AA 0.4 print core), Cura still tells the ultimaker to make two passes over each segment of the line.

Is there anyway to print the line in a single layer and a single pass, with no retracing of any model elements?

No there is not.  There is no way to get Cura to make only a single pass.

So what I would do is this:  Imagine a cube where 3 sides are normal and the 4th side is the line you want.  It can have curves to it or whatever or it can simply be a straight line.

Then in cura slice it multiple times and rotate it so that it starts printing the line you care about first.  Then edit the gcode and remove the other 3 moves you don't want.

gcode is not so hard to read as a human.  It's meant for a computer to read it (the computer on a 3d printer) but it's also designed for humans to read it as well.  Also it's full of lots of comments.  And if you load the gcode into repetier host you can highlight each gcode and see visually on the other side of the screen which segment that is in the print.  That makes it easy to match up each gcode with it's corresponding "line".

• Like 1

Sure you can print it as a single pass, you have two options:

1 - Enable the wall overlap compensation and set minimum wall flow to something like 50 and use a wall line width that is the same width as the wall.

2 - Enable the print thin walls option and make sure that the line width is sufficiently large so that the wall is not printed as regular "fat wall".