Jump to content
Dan_Noviun

First Print, couple of questions

Recommended Posts

Posted · First Print, couple of questions

Hi there, first post!

 

We recently purchased 2 Ultimaker 3's as we are more and more being asked for 3D printed models for our projects. Below are some images from our first 'proper' print and I just have a couple of questions I hope someone may be able to answer:

 

1. there seems to be some small cut-outs in the sides, we're not sure if this has happened when peeling off the PVA or not, if this is the case then in the future we can be more careful when peeling it off. If it's something else, could anyone point me in the right direction as to what the cause might be?

 

2. The lines on the roof, having a look at the other posts it would seem that this is a 'combing' issue, could someone confirm if this is the case? During the print the nozzle was catching going over the infill and fraying the tops a bit so I kind of think it's that, just on the top layer.

 

Other than that, looks like a great bit of kit, the cameras on the printers wouldn't work which is a separate issue I hope to resolve when our next print is running unless there is a way to test the camera without printing anything?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

UM301.thumb.jpg.0bc5222e813ee86cac98d6efedd4a270.jpgUM302.thumb.jpg.d1e6c11f80bd12a509e698ea7a07c57d.jpgUM303.thumb.jpg.a9a2152eebbdae6541795caa691fe523.jpgUM304.thumb.jpg.79c07849f156e622e37d469b4339c9a8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · First Print, couple of questions
20 hours ago, Dan_Noviun said:

1. there seems to be some small cut-outs in the sides, we're not sure if this has happened when peeling off the PVA or not, if this is the case then in the future we can be more careful when peeling it off. If it's something else, could anyone point me in the right direction as to what the cause might be?

1

Hard to say, but yes could be from the PVA. I don't think it is under extrusion, because then you would have much more holes or issues. 

 

20 hours ago, Dan_Noviun said:

2. The lines on the roof, having a look at the other posts it would seem that this is a 'combing' issue, could someone confirm if this is the case? During the print the nozzle was catching going over the infill and fraying the tops a bit so I kind of think it's that, just on the top layer.

2

You can avoid those scratches when you set Combing to "not in skin", this should help for the surface quality.

 

20 hours ago, Dan_Noviun said:

Other than that, looks like a great bit of kit, the cameras on the printers wouldn't work which is a separate issue I hope to resolve when our next print is running unless there is a way to test the camera without printing anything?

You can access the webcam directly from a browser: http://<your IP>:8080/?action=stream

 

And welcome aboard! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · First Print, couple of questions

Some of those holes/slots *might* be from pva although usually they are rounder.  A piece of pva can be fall onto your print and then when it tries to print the next layer it fills in around the pva which later dissolves away leaving a hole.

 

However this print probably doesn't need any support.  The single flat roof that I assume is over the entrance - that is worth supporting but not 100% necessary.  But the quality for that will be much better with PVA.  I would remove PVA support everywhere else (there are several ways to remove support e.g. setting the angle, but probably the best is to use the tool on the left side where you click areas to remove support then stretch the cuboids to cover everything but where you want support).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · First Print, couple of questions

Hi

 

only an idea at point 1: how exaktly is the tolerance of your filament? if this happens sporadically in a few prints, i would try with an other manufacturer of filament to be sure.

(or set the line-thickness - german:Linienbreite - from 0.4 to 0.39 and try again)

 

... only an idea. may be good, may be bad, ... only an idea.

 

Andy.

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · First Print, couple of questions

Thank you all for the replies, I didn't know you could block the PVA supports so that is useful, we had support material where I'm not sure we actually needed it so will bear that in mind for future!

 

The combing I will change also, we don't want this happening on future prints at all really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 98 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!