S5 Shattered build plate

bbaker

Posted · S5 Shattered build plate

We have had 2 S5s in my MakerSpace for a while and they have been performing very well.  We just recently started going with other filament choices and a student printed a few PC pieces for a project.  When I went to remove his most recent PC part this morning it was very strongly adhered and I used my standard thin metal spatula approach to peel the part off and the entire build plate shattered quite dramatically.  The part had been sitting for several hours and I am not sure if he had set the plate to cool after print (although the bed was not warm when I removed his part).

Anyone seen this type of issue before?

Also we are very use to either keeping the build plate warm in the LulzBot version of Cura for a TAZ6 but I have not seen this option in Ultimaker Cura.  I am guessing it does exist somewhere.  Are most people keeping their build plate warm to remove parts?  Or reheating the bed to remove parts?  My students send jobs at all hours so it is not uncommon for a part to sit for hours so normally I do not want them to keep the build plates warm.

Any help is appreciated. 

Ultimaker S5 Shattered Build Plate.jpg

It's much better to let the part cool before removing the part.  Sometimes even put the entire glass bed and part in the freezer but that's not necessary.

Contact fbrc8.com for a new glass plate.

1 minute ago, gr5 said:

It's much better to let the part cool before removing the part.  Sometimes even put the entire glass bed and part in the freezer but that's not necessary.

Contact fbrc8.com for a new glass plate.

Thanks.  I thought the part was already cool already since it had been sitting for some time but maybe not cool enough.  

Any idea if the problem is made worse by PC?  We have not printed much with PC yet.

Thanks also for the link for a new plate.  The very first thing I did was order a new plate from matterhackers.

I don't think I've done any PC prints yet - just PC + ABS blend.  Ultimaker recommendations for PC are here - they seem to think PC doesn't stick well and recommend adhesion sheets - at least that would keep your glass from shattering.  They sell adhesion sheets.  They are a pain as they tear easily.  When I use these sheets I print small parts in different locations tearing a small piece at a time and then after 10 or so tears I remove the sheet and start over.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/22231-how-to-print-with-ultimaker-pc