Surface is not flat

flexchen

Posted · Surface is not flat

Hi,

I designed a 14cmx8cm case, and use Cura to print out my design. However the surface that faces to the printer is not flat.

I have tried to print couple of different designs, as long as I printed the object with large surface, I always met this problem.

Could you please suggest me the solutions to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Surface is not flat

Surface is not flat

This is warping, sue to contraction of the plastic as it cools.

For a part like this, it will probably be enough to print on fresh blue tape (use the widest you can find), and wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol before you print. That should help it to stick really well, so that you will probably tear the tape removing the part. If so, then you can soak the bottom of the part in alcohol for a few seconds, and any remaining tape will slide off.

If you still have problems, the next solution would be to also print without the fan on - just be sure and set a sufficiently long 'minimum layer time' - probably 7 - 10 seconds - to give the plastic time to cool between layers.

Finally, you could try using a 'brim' of 15 or 20 layers, to help provide a wider, less angular base to help hold down the part.

Illuminarti's 3 suggestions are good but the most important is this:

Wipe your blue tape with isopropyl alcohol. You can find this product wherever people sell bandages.

isopropyl alcohol (bottom shelf)

Thanks a bunch Illuminarti and gr5 for your suggetions! Isopropyl alcohol really helps a lot for my large surface prints! :-P

Altough there is still a little bit warping at two corners as the blue tapes were even lifted up by the print, I think it might be able to be resolved by using larger and more sticky blue tapes.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I use 6 inch tape.