Ultimaker 2 design plans?

Posted · Ultimaker 2 design plans?

Hi,

I would like to congratulate the Ultimaker team for this very nice and new 3d printer, looking very awesome.

Following up on the "Just like the Original the Ultimaker 2 will remain open source.", could you please point me towards these plans. At the moment I am particularly interested in slider blocks design, to figure out if they can be printed in 3D. I am jsut about to order some mechanical aprts and would be nice to plan for longer X,Y 6mm rods if feasible.

All the best with the upcoming presentation!

The slider blocks are not printable, as they click together. (There is the bushing and a spring in there for belt tension)

I recommend looking at my TITAN slider blocks: https://github.com/daid/TITAN those are printable and about the same size and design as the UM2 sliderblocks.

In the UM2 we did extend the X/Y 6mm rods a bit so they hit the endstops. So you might want to think about that.

Unfortunately I had no luck with Titan and SCAD, just couldnt get to compile it. I have seen some mentions on the forum of the injection mold block stl being released on YouMagine, couldnt find it though.

Not everything UM2 has been published yet. They are busy - give them a little time.

Actually, the full statement on our OpenSource-ness should go online soon. But it goes something like "bla, bla, we'll release the UM2 files in 6 months, bla bla". There is a lot of confusion about this. But the UM2 files will NOT be released right now.

But Harma is actually sorting out and uploading the UM-Original files right now, as we will put them online ASAP. You could follow the repository on github if you want notification as soon as it happens: https://github.com/Ultimaker/UltimakerOriginal

I think the UM-Ori is much more interesting for hackers anyhow. Except for a few bits&pieces from the UM2. I'll see if I can arrange to upload the printable direct drive files online. (The final injection molded parts are not really printable, but we have a design that prints great. I even installed it on my own printer)

I just checked out the GitHub for the Original Ultimaker Plans. Beautiful documentation.

Really great to have mechanical drawings and plans for everything. Thanks to the whole Ultimaker team.

I'm really interested in the printable direct drive files Daid, if you could upload them I'll be very gratefull !